Located west of Knoxville, Anderson County was established in 1801 and created from parts of Knox and Grainger counties. The county was named after Joseph Anderson, a prominent U.S. Senator and former territorial judge in Knoxville. The first seat of government in the county was Burrville, named after Vice President Aaron Burr. After Burr killed Alexander Hamilton in their famous duel, and became implicated in a land speculation scheme, the Tennessee General Assembly changed the name of the Anderson County’s seat to Clinton, honoring Vice President George Clinton or his nephew, DeWitt Clinton.
Once known for agriculture and coal mining as its leading industries, the county was propelled to national prominence in the 1930s with the introduction of the Tennessee Valley Authority and the construction of Norris Dam. During the years of World War II, Anderson County gained national and international attention when federal planners established the city of Oak Ridge, a site for the development of nuclear facilities. For more information on the history of Anderson County, please go to the Tennessee Encyclopedia of History & Culture website.
|Farm Name||County||Date Founded||Special Recognition|
|Twin Springs Hereford Farm||Anderson||1805|