Bedford County was established in 1807 from land taken from Rutherford County and is located in the southern outskirts of the Central Basin of Tennessee. Shelbyville, the county seat, was established in 1810 and was ideally suited as a trading center, with fords on the southern and eastern ends of the town. In 1852, the commercial value of the town increased with the construction of the Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad. In the early twentieth century, Shelbyville became a thriving industrial center with the Shelbyville Mills, a textile factory, and the Musgrave Pencil Company manufacturers. In addition, the worldwide popular Tennessee Walking Horse Celebration takes place in Shelbyville. For more information on Bedford County, please go to the Tennessee Encyclopedia of History & Culture website.
|Farm Name||County||Date Founded||Special Recognition|
|S and S Livestock Farm||Bedford||1903|
|Sallie Creek Farm||Bedford||1899|
|Spring Hill Dairy Farm||Bedford||1842|
|Spring Hill--The Spencer Eakin Farm||Bedford||1842||NR|
|Twin Elms Farm||Bedford||1794||Pioneer Century Farm|
|Vannatta Farms Inc.||Bedford||1850|