For a brief historical sketch of each farm, click on the farm name.
The Click Place
Edgen Hills Farm
Four M Acres Farm
Jimmy E. Shearon Farm
North Oakdale Farm
The Reed Place
Rest Tennessee Farm
Rolling Hills Farm
Walker and Felts Farm
Wayne Shearon Farm
The following map is for a general geographical understanding. It does not provide the specific locations of the farms because of privacy reasons.
Map Courtesy of Carole Swann, Tennessee Department of Agriculture
The Click Place
Jennie Dolores Harris Moulton
Lloyd Michael Harris
The Click Place, originated when John Elzie “J. E.” McLaughlin purchased 25 acres in the 13th Civil District of Cheatham County in 1902. He raised hay and cattle, and he and his wife Violet, were the parents of two children.
In 1913, W.L. Travis purchased the farm. Both he and his wife, Pearl Petway Travis, were related to the McLaughlin family. G.C. “Click” McLaughlin, purchased the farm from the Travises in 1924 and continued the tradition of raising hay and cattle on the farm. He married Martha Alice Butler, and they were the parents of seven children.
In 1965, B.L. “Blake” Harris, a nephew of founder J. E. McLaughlin, purchased the farm. He married Artie Mae Harris, and they and their five children raised hay and cattle.
Lloyd Harris, one of Blake and Artie Mae Harris’ children, purchased the Click Place in 1968. He and Jennie Ruth Harris also own the Reed Place and are the parents of Jennie Dolores and Michael Harris. In 1976, Jennie Dolores Harris Moulton became an owner of the click Place with her father, and they now raise Black Angus cattle, hay and tobacco. In 2000, Michael acquired 13.5 acres of the farm.
Dolores Moulton’s daughter, D’andrea Felts, researched the history of the Click Place as well as the Reed Place. She is working with Century Farmers and the Cheatham County Fair Board to display information on each of the county’s historic Century Farms during the fair.Photo: Farm landscape of The Click Place
Flora Head Bidwell
Charles Bidwell, Sr.
Upon the death of Oliver Hicks, the property was divided between his two daughters, Margaret Edgen Head and Peggy Edgen Suaer. In 1961, Margaret and her husband John purchased the other half of the farm from Peggy. Margaret and John raised hay, tobacco and livestock. Today, the farm is ran by the daughter of Margaret and John, Flora, and her husband Charles Bidwelll, Sr. They also own and operate a Century Farm in Robertson County that has belonged to Charles's family since 1849, Homestead Acres. A primary house and barn that were constructed in the 19th century are still in use today.
Four M Acres Farm
The Four M Acres Farm is located 2 miles south of
Highway 49 on the right side of Highway 41A in
William Pace founded this 100 acre Farm in 1805. He raised cattle, corn, small grains, and hogs. The second generation owners were William Pace and his wife Martha Shaw Pace. They had nine children, five girls and four boys. William Pace acquired 200 additional acres from a tax sale. William’s son, Joel Pace and his wife Polly Davis Pace became the next owners of the farm. Over the years, the land was acquired by Nancy Elizabeth Pace Nicholson and then to their daughter Mary Elizabeth Hewitt. Mary’s son, James Hewitt was the next owner of the farm and he and his wife raised one child, Larry Hewitt.
Larry Hewitt, the current owner and great
great great great grandson of the founder, acquired the land in 1975. Larry and his wife Kimberly produce wheat,
corn, tobacco, straw, hay, and support cattle on the farm. In addition to
managing the farm, Larry was recognized as
Following Larry’s death in 2008, Kimberly and their son Blake who was 8 years old at the time, remained on the farm. The crops grown on 350 acres are soybeans, corn, hay and tobacco which keeps the 100 year old tobacco barn in use. Kimberly Hewitt writes that “my greatest desire is for our son to continue the farming tradition here on Hewitt Road.”
Earl and June Nixon
The Hooper Homestead Farm, located southeast of Ashland City, was founded by Daniel M. Hooper. His father had worked land in the area since 1858, but it was not until Daniel and his wife began working their 194 acres in 1880 that we can date this farm’s origin. Jemima and Daniel had two children – Charles Marion and Starks – and grew corn, hay, and miscellaneous farm crops while raising cattle. Jemima inherited the farm in 1910 when Daniel died.
Three years later, in 1913, Jemima deed the farm to her granddaughter, Leonta Hooper and her husband McKinley Crouch. This couple had eight children and operated a small retail grocery store and gasoline station for about 30 years beginning in the 1920s. In addition to their commercial endeavors, the family added hogs, a fruit orchard, and truck vegetables to the agricultural output of their farm.
The fourth owners were the eight Crouch children, the founder’s great, great grandchildren: Doris McQueen, Dorothy Patton, June Nixon, Vivian Brake, Janie Foutch, William Crouch, Leonard Crouch, and Eugene Crouch. Their mother deeded them the land in 1925.
In 1984, Earl B. Nixon and June Crouch Nixon purchased portions of the farm from her siblings. Today, the Nixons grow hay, various crops, and timber while keeping poultry for their eggs. They are also bee keepers. The Nixons live on the farm, which consists of 65 acres of the founder’s original farm, in a house built in the early 1940s; they did major remodeling in the early 1990s. June and Earl maintain a 1850s log home that was the dwelling of the Hoopers.
Photo (top): Hooper Homestead's first owners, Daniel and Jemima Brown Hooper.
Photo (upper left): Log residence used by the farm's founders, built c. 1850s.
Photo (upper right): Log kitchen used by the farm founder's. It was dethatched from living quarters for safety reasons.
Photo (middle left): Leonta Hooper Crouch, in white, standing in front of a gas pump with the family's grocery store off to the left.
Photo (middle right): Small retail grocery store operated on property between 1940s and 1950s.
Photo (bottom left): The farm's fifth and present owners, Earl and June Nixon.
(bottom right): Home of Earl and June Nixon, an early 1940s house.
Elizabeth Morris Jackson
The Jackson Farm is located in
By the turn of the century, Archibald
Woodson, the founders’ grandson, had taken possession of 200 acres of the
family land. Woodson, his wife Mary Bradley and their seven children raised
corn, swine and grains. Archibald also planted tobacco. In 1922, Carrie Woodson
and her husband Gilford Morris returned to
Jimmy E. Shearon Sr. Farm
Jimmy E. Shearon
Located south of Pleasant View, the Jimmy E. Shearon Sr. Farm was founded in 1813 by Sterling Harris Shearon and his wife Nancy Anne Williams Shearon, who had six children. The founding couple’s son, Jesse Shearon, who married Annie Harris, became the next owner of the land, where tobacco was the primary crop. In 1858, the land was passed to Jesse’s brother, Joseph Washington Shearon.
Today, the current owners are Jimmy E. Shearon and Wayne Shearon, the great-great-grandsons of the founder. Jimmy and his wife Shelly Mobley Shearon, along with their sons Jimmy Jr. and Timmy, live on the Jimmy E. Shearon Sr. Farm, where they produce tobacco, hay and grains on 92 acres. A stock barn and a tobacco barn still stand on the land today.
Myrtle Ruth Johnson
In 1867, John W. Johnson founded a 130 acre farm near
In 1884, the founder’s son, Hardy Johnson became the second generation to own the farm. During his ownership, the farm supported crops including corn, tobacco, hay, sweet potatoes, and the family also had an apple orchard. They also raised hogs and cattle. Hardy and his wife. Bettie Judd, had six children -- Earl, Lucile Johnson Hagewood, Lorelle Johnson Duke, Mildred Johnson Radford, Allea, and Carl.
The land was inherited in 1949 by the widow of Earl Johnson, Myrtle Ruth Johnson. Today, Ruth lives on the farm with her daughter Juanita Taylor, her grandson Terrill Taylor, his wife Susan and their children. Ruth’s granddaughter Pam and husband Hal Bryant and their son Will also live on the property. Currently, the farm produces corn, hay, pumpkins, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and cattle and is managed by the family and worked by Juanita and Terrill Taylor. The farm still has many historic buildings, including the original farm house that was built by Hardy Johnson in 1913, a tobacco barn built in the 1930s, a smokehouse built in 1913, and a large potato house dating from the 1920s. Mrs. Johnson advises that the acreage was called “Riverview Farm” in the early 1900s, but today the land that has been owned by Johnsons for 140 years goes by the family’s name.
Photo: The Johnson Farm house in 1913.
Brandy Lynn Knox
Brandy Lynn Knox
Nannie Elisabeth Walker Hunt purchased sixty acres west of Pleasant View along Old Clarksville Pike in 1896 for $700. She paid for her land in four installments and made the purchase three years after the death of her husband, William J. Carney Hunt. He had been a member of the Free and Accepted Masons in the Sycamore Lodge No. 255. Before his death, the couple had six children, two sons and four daughters.
In 1904, Nannie Hunt sold 14.75 acres to her son-in-law, Melvin Fox, for $400. While it is unknown what type of crops Nannie grew, Melvin and his wife, Annie Mai Hunt Fox raised chickens, hogs, cows, horses, and mules while growing wheat, corn, hay, and dark fire tobacco. The first fifteen years of Melvin’s ownership were particularly active. Melvin constructed several structures to complement his crop and livestock; around 1910, he built a tobacco barn, smoke house, stable, and a barn primarily used as a tobacco stripping room. All of these structures have been maintained through the years and are used for their original purposes today. Twice, the Foxes purchased adjoining land to expand their farm; in 1916, they acquired 24 acres and in 1920, they purchased another eight. By 1918, Melvin built the homestead where he, Annie Mai, and his mother-in-law lived until her death in 1931. Melvin and Annie Mai did not have children of their own but adopted their niece and nephew Mattie Mai Blanchette and Joseph Blanchette; the children were residing with the Foxes by 1920.
Although the land did not legally change ownership again until Melvin Fox’s death in 1963, Mattie Mai and her husband James Leonard Knox lived and worked on the farm prior to this date. They grew wheat, corn, hay, milo, and three kinds of tobacco – dark fire, burley, and wrapping tobacco. Their livestock was also a source of income; they raised beef and dairy cows as well as hogs. The dairy cows produced milk that was sold to PET Milk and the hogs were butchered and made into smoked hams and sausage or sold to Elm Hill and Frosty Morn. When Annie Mai Fox passed away in 1951, Melvin continued to live with Mattie Mai and Leonard Knox until 1963. At that time, Mattie Mai inherited the Fox’s 47 acres.
The Knox’s third son, Richard “Rickey” Melvin Knox acquired the family’s farm in 1992 for $1. The deed of sale provided his brother, Grady Eugene Knox, a life estate for the use of the home and surrounding one acre. Today, Rickey and his wife Kathy Steele Knox live on the farm where their children, Brandy Lynn Knox and Robert Steele were raised. Brady was the first in her paternal family to go to college; she attended University of Tennessee, Knoxville and majored in Agricultural Science and earned a Masters Degree in Food Microbiology. She now works in Richmond, VA for the parent company of U.S. Smokeless Tobacco, Phillip Morris USA. Her father is a contract tobacco grower for this company and is the sixth generation to grow dark fire and burley tobacco. He also grows wheat and hay.
Photo (top left): Annie Mai Fox feeding chicken in front of the stripping
room. Photo taken in 1928.
Photo (top left): Annie Mai Fox feeding chicken in front of the stripping room. Photo taken in 1928.
Photo (top right): Nannie Hunt, Annie Fox, and Mattie Mae. Photo taken in
Photo (top right): Nannie Hunt, Annie Fox, and Mattie Mae. Photo taken in 1928.
Photo (middle left): Mattie & Leonard Knox. Photo taken in 1935.
Photo (middle right): Rickey Knox and his grandfather, Melvin Fox. Photo taken in 1948.
Photo (bottom left): Rickey Knox with tobacco crop.
Photo (bottom right): Rickey Knox and his daughter, Brandy Knox.
William Harold Frazier
William Harold Frazier
On January 1, 1912, Finis Brown Pardue purchased 120 acres in Cheatham County, near Henrietta. He and his wife, Emily Rena Nicholson-Pardue had nine children. They grew many crops, including tobacco, corn, hay, vegetables, strawberries, apples, pears, and peaches. While growing these crops, they also raised horses, cows, chickens, and hogs. After the ratification of the Nineteenth Amendment to the US Constitution, which gave women the right to vote, Emily Rena voted in the first presidential election. She was only one of three women in her precinct to vote.
The second generation to own the farm was Gilford Adkins and Irena Pardue-Adkins, the daughter of Finis and Emily Rena. They acquired approximately sixty acres in 1957 and raised hay, corn, and fruit. Though they did not have children, the farm remained in the family, passing to Harold and Clayton Frazier, grandsons of the founder.
The current owner, Harold Frazier, acquired the land in 1989. He is a member of the Farm Bureau. Today, the owner’s nephew, Jack Green, lives on and manages the farm; he grows hay, vegetables, tobacco, and fruit while raising cattle on the 58 acres. The house that stands today has been built over the course of many years; the structure incorporates the 1800s log cabin and has had numerous additional rooms added. Jack also utilizes a tobacco barn built prior to 1960.
Photo (top): Nicholson-Pardue farmhouse.
North Oakdale Farm
Henry F. Batts, III
Debra K. Batts
Henry F. Batts, Jr.
Leland and his wife, Maude Gibbons Smith, were the parents of William Joseph Smith II and Andrea Ladd Smith. They raised cattle, hay, corn, vegetables, tobacco, soybeans and wheat at North Oakdale, and in 1987, Andrea acquired 35 acres of the family farm. She lived in Nashville, and her cousins, Henry Batts and Henry F. Batts III, worked the land.In 2006, Henry Jr. and Glenda Batts and Henry III and his wife, Debra, purchased the acreage from Andrea. Henry III and Debra Batts are the parents of Christina Audry, Catherine Nicole and Henry F. Batts IV. The Batts children represent the ninth generation to work the land at Oakdale and are Charles and Sarah Gent’s great-great-great-great-great-great grandchildren. The Batts family has improved the parcel by adding two ponds stocked with fish, and they now work both Oakdale and North Oakdale farms.
Henry F. Batts, Jr.
Glenda Smith Batts
The Oakdale Farm spans nearly 200 years of Tennessee history. Charles Gent, a Revolutionary War veteran, purchased a 640-acre farm in what would become Cheatham County in 1816. Charles and his wife, Sarah Sanders Gent, built two houses on the property—one near a cave spring, and one believed to be on Spring Creek. Charles raised sheep, cattle, horses, pigs, corn and vegetables on his farm.
Photo (top): Burley tobacco barn built in 1946
Photo (bottom): Shocked sorghum on Oakdale Farm
The Reed Place
Jennie R. Harris
The Reed Place, owned by Lloyd and Jennie Harris, dates to 1838, when John White purchased 225 acres of land in what was then Dickson County. (Cheatham County was formed in 1856.) John raised cattle, hay, corn, tobacco and swine on his farm. He and his wife, Eliza, were the parents of five children.
Their daughter, Serena White, married William Clayton “W.C.” Reed. In 1887 and 1892, W.C. purchased a total of 209 acres of the farm from Serena’s brother, Squire White. W.C. raised cattle, hay, corn, tobacco and hogs on the farm, and he and Serena were the parents of 12 children.
In 1909, Burgess Franklin “B.F.” Reed purchased the farm from his father W.C.’s other heirs. In 1933, Lora Reed Marsh, a niece of B.F. Reed, and her husband, Thurman “T.W.” Marsh, purchased 85 acres of the farm. During their ownership, they deeded a portion of land for a cemetery for the descendants of W.C. Reed that is still in use today.
In 1944, B.F. Reed purchased the 85 acres back from Lora and T.W., and his son, Burgess White Reed, and his family moved onto the farm. Burgess Reed purchased the farm from his father in 1945. He and his wife, Eddie Lee Reed, were the parents of four children.In 1970, Eddie Lee Reed’s heirs inherited the farm: Sara Elizabeth Mays, Jennie Ruth Harris, Burgess Willard Reed and Linda Joyce Holyfield. In 1972, Jennie Ruth Harris and her husband, Lloyd Harris, purchased the farm from the other heirs. Today the farm produces cattle and horses; Lloyd Harris works the farm, and Jennie Ruth Harris is actively involved in managing it.
Allene R. Ellis
Tennessee Farm was founded in 1884 by John Thomas Newmand and his wife, Mary
Jane Newman. At that time, the farm was a part of
The third generation owners were Marvin Ellis and Allene Rediker Ellis, granddaughter of the founders, who acquired the farm in 1945. Both Mr. and Mrs. Ellis were active in the Cheatham County Farm Bureau, each serving as President for multiple terms. Allene continues to serve as Farm Bureau Womens Chairman. Marvin, who died in 1985, was also a Director and President of the Eastern Dark Fired Tobacco Growers association. An excellent and creative cook, Allene won first place in “The Tennessee Beef Cook Off Contest” in 1978 and also won numerous Dairy Foods contests. Allene Rediker continues to be actively involved in the management and operation of the farm. The 159 acre farm now produces tobacco, corn, wheat, fruits, vegetables, nuts and hay and supports mules and swine. Mrs. Rediker reports that on the farm is a log house, built in 1933, a house built in 1929, and log smokehouse and two other outbuildings dating from 1884. Family members living on the farm today, in addition to Mrs. Ellis, include Joyce E. Rose, Jeanne and Jeff Spears, and Jennifer and James P. Binkley.
Photo: Aerial view of the Rest Tennessee Farm
Rolling Hills Farm
Fielder Family Trust
In 1910, James Washington Fielder and his wife, Annetta Frazier Fielder, transferred almost 17 acres to James Houston Fielder and his wife, Hettie Adkins Fielder. The farm, located in Cheatham County, is approximately two miles from the Henrietta community. As was the case on many other farms in this area, tobacco was the primary cash crop, but the family also raised vegetables, hay, hogs, chickens, corn, wheat, cattle, sheep and fruit. James and Hettie were the parents of Everett, Clyde, Lance (called “Snooks”) and Dalton.
Lance “Snooks” Fielder acquired his father’s farm in 1945. Lance expanded the farm to 279 acres and continued to raise tobacco, hogs, hay, corn and cattle. Lance married Effie Mae Barfield and, as they had no heirs, Everett Fielder Jr., a grandson of farm founder James Houston Fielder, acquired the 279 acre farm in 1973. Everett married Anita Grigg and they were the parents of six children.
Today, the Rolling Hills Farm is owned by Anita Grigg Fielder, the widow of Everett Fielder Jr., and their daughter, Brenda Fielder. Brenda is married to Jimbeau Hinson. The family owns the original acreage that the founder acquired in 1910and raises cattle and hay on the property. The original farmhouse, home of the founding couple, is still in use by the family and has been restored. The family also maintains an original smokehouse, which serves as a family museum and two log corncribs that the owners use for storage.
In 2006, Brenda Fielder, who serves as farm manager, received the Outstanding Conservation Farmer of the Year for Cheatham County. In November 2011, the family gathered at the historic farm to celebrate their Century Farm certification as well as the birthday of Mrs. Dalton Fielder (“Mama D”) Gupton, who was born on the farm 90 years ago and has lived her life on Houston Fielder Road. Rolling Hills Farm is the 14th Century Farm certified in Cheatham County.
James O. Walker
James Omar Walker owns two adjacent Century Farms within Cheatham and Robertson counties. The Walker Farm dates to 1860 when T. M. Walker acquired 125 acres of land on which he cultivated wheat, corn and tobacco. He also raised swine and cattle and operated a mercantile business in Pleasant View. A religious man, Walker helped build the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in 1881.
The Felts Farm was originally the property of James T. Felts, who established the farm by 1875 at a location two miles south of Pleasant View. On 236 acres, James and Mary Morris Felts grew corn, tobacco and wheat while breeding cattle, horses and swine.
James and Mary had two children and their daughter Gillie and her husband Arthur H. Walker acquired 134 acres of the family land in 1934. Today the founder’s grandson, James O. Walker, owns the Felts Farm, where his land yields soybeans, corn, tobacco, hay and cattle. He operates both the Walker and Felts Farm as one agricultural unit.
Wayne Shearon Farm
Buford Wayne Shearon
Wayne Shearon Farm shares a common history with the Jimmy E. Shearon, Sr. Farm
because each was a part of a 286-acre farm founded in 1813 by Sterling Harris
Shearon and his wife Nancy Anne Williams Shearon.
Today, the great-great-great-great son, Wayne Shearon and his wife Glenda Glasgow Shearon live on 92 acres with their sons Darryl and David. This family’s land, now known as the Wayne Shearon Farm, produces tobacco, hay, wheat, and supports cattle. Additionally, the home built in 1920 still stands on this land today.
(top left): Dark tobacco grown on the Wayne Shearon Farm in 1955.