For a brief historical sketch of each farm, click on the farm name.
C.C. James Farm
Cypress Creek Farm
Frog Jump Farm
Holly Tree Farm
J.W. Williams Farm
M & M Farm
Oakcrest Polled Hereford Farm
Tritt Place Farm
The following map is for a general geographical understanding. It does not provide the specific locations of the farms because of privacy reasons.
Map courtesy of Carole Swann, Tennessee Department of Agriculture
The Ball’s Farm is a rare
Lucy Ann Nunn, the founders’ daughter, inherited 404.5
acres of the plantation in 1861. He husband Corday B, Revelle served in the
Union army during the Civil War and died at the battle for
Lucy Ann had five children by her first husband and six by her second husband. In 1882, Edmond Abraham Revelle, a son from her first marriage, acquired the farm. Married to Lula Alice Prescott and the father of twelve children, he counted corn, swine and cotton as his most important farm products. In 1942, Corinne Revelle Ball and her husband Willie Bob Ball inherited a portion of the family land. Today, Raymond, the son of Corinne and Willie Bob, owns the farm.
Butner Farm s
West of Maury City William Thomas and Sally Butner began farming 95 acres in 1905. Their primary crops were cotton and corn. Their son, James Peay Butner, acquired the farm in 1934 and he and his wife Ora Faye Tyler, and their two children, David Tyler and Marian, continued the traditions including farming with mules. James also measured cotton in the 10th district of Crockett County and served in the United State Army.
In 1969, David and Marian inherited the family farm. David and his wife, Annie Evelyn Riley are the parents of Deborah Ann (Alexander) and David Thomas “Tommy”. David and Evelyn are now retired and enjoy their family which includes grandchildren and a great, granddaughter. Tommy grows cotton, corn, and soybeans on the farm which includes a family cemetery where generations of Butners are buried.
Photo: Butner Family in front of crops.
C. C. James Farm
Community service is the thread holding together the
generations who have lived at the James Farm. Established by Moses and Mary
Porter Cox in 1833, the James Farm is located three miles north of
Moses and Mary Cox had twelve children and in 1890 their son John acquired almost 275 acres of the farm. Like his father, he cultivated corn, cotton and wheat and raised livestock. John married Nancy Farrow and they had five children. Their daughter Mary Cecil Cox and her husband Charles James became the third generation owners of the James Farm.
In 1968, Charles and Annie James inherited twenty acres of the original farm. Today, they work an additional 1,022 acres and specialize in cotton and soybeans.
Diane Cherry Jordan
Before Crockett County was formed in 1872 from portions of Dyer, Haywood, and Gibson counties, Henry Cherry came to the area in 1850 and began growing cotton on 100 acres. He and his wife, Jane, were the parents of four sons.
In 1863, during the tumult of the Civil War, George W. “G.W.” Cherry purchased the farm from his father. G.W. built a home and barn and grew cotton, corn and beans. G.W. was married first to Florence Albritton, his second wife was named Annie. G. W. built a house, as well as a barn, during his ownership of the farm to accommodate his family which included three children.
John B. Cherry, a son of G.W. Cherry, received one-fifth of the farm in 1925 after the death of his stepmother, Annie, and then purchased three-fifths of the farm from his siblings. His sister, Lula, retained her one-fifth of the farm. John grew cotton and corn on his farm. He married Ora York, and their children were named Buford, Gladys, John Moss, Fern and Parker.
John Moss Cherry acquired the farm in 1936. He grew cotton, corn and soybeans on his 70 acres. He was married to Evelyn Brown Cherry, and they were the parents of Lana and Diane. Evelyn Cherry acquired the farm in 1966 upon the death of her husband, and continued to produce cotton, beans and corn on the farm.
In 2011, Diane Cherry Jordan, daughter of John Moss and Evelyn Cherry, inherited her family’s farm. They grow cotton, beans and corn on the farm. The farm is worked by Diane’s nephew, William Nichols, who is the son of her sister, Lana. He represents the sixth generation of his family to raise cotton on this farm that predates Crockett County.Photo 1: Farmhouse built by G.W. Cherry
Cypress Creek Farm
Joe S. Emerson
Located four miles southeast of
In 1964, the children acquired the farm, though Malcolm eventually became the sole owner of the property. Along with his wife, Maggie Lou Goldsmith, the couple had two children, Mac Boyd and Joe Silas. Under Malcolm, who went by the surname Emerson rather than Emison, the family farm mainly produced cotton.
In 1982, the great grandson of the founder, Joe S. Emerson and his
wife Myrtle Rose Leggett Emerson obtained the farm. Over the years, Myrtle has
been active in the community by being a member of the home demonstration club.
Along with her grandmother, she won prizes for making rugs from old cotton
stockings. In addition, Joe and Myrtle have been members of the Farm Bureau
since they married in 1955. The couple went to high school together at
Mrs. Emerson recalls that over the generations the family has
included not only farmers but school teachers, engineers, business people, and
doctors. One ancestor was a founder of
Photo (Top): Historic photo of Cypress Creek Farm's farmhouse.
Photo (Bottom Left): Silas , Ann and child.
Photo (Bottom Right): Malcolm, Maggie Lou and child.
Frog Jump Farm
Emmett Garfield Parker, Jr.
Located in the 10th District of Crockett
County, Frog Jump Farm dates to 1830. Its founder was Dr. Samuel Oldham, Sr., a
Dr. Oldham died in 1860 and the property passed into the hands of his son Samuel Oldham, Jr. According to family tradition, the plantation mansion suffered from raids throughout the Civil War resulting in “severe damage and stolen property.” Despite the damage during the war, Samuel and his wife Virginia Anderson Oldham continued to manage the farm as a major plantation operation.
Cornelia Oldham Parker, the founder’s granddaughter, and her husband James B. Parker acquired the farm in 1874 and 46 years later the property passed into the hands of Emmett G. Parker, Sr. the founder’s great grandson.
In 1962, Emmett G. Parker, Jr., became the fifth generation of the family to own Frog Jump Farm. As of 1976, Emmett managed well over 500 acres of the original farm, producing cotton, soybeans, wheat and cattle.
Garner Mack Goode, Jr.
Mary June Tracy Goode
On October 27, 2008, the
Goode Farm near
The second generation to own the
farm was D.A.C’s and
On October 12, 1942, Garner Mack Goode and his wife Mary Baker Goode purchased twenty-four acres from his parents. Only a few months later in January of 1943, he acquired the remaining acres from his brothers and sisters. The parents of twins, their daughter, Maxine, was thrown from a mule in October of 1942 and died at age seven. Over the years Garner and Mary and their son , Garner Mack Goode, Jr., grew a variety of crops including corn, cotton, hay, strawberries, squash and soybeans as well as cattle and hogs. Garner, Sr. and Mary lived on and managed the farm until their deaths
In 1974, the great grandson of the founder, Garner Mack Goode, Jr. and his wife, Mary June, acquired the property. Their sons are Bobby, Garner, and Crockett. Dean Speight currently works the farm that supports cotton, corn, soybeans and wheat.
Griggs Farm, LLC
Robert Matthew Griggs
Joanna Vanderpool Griggs
Jocelyn Griggs Bundy
The Griggs Farms LLC dates to 1884 when Robert Buchanan Griggs, Jr. acquired 750 acres in the Mason Grove community, which was established in the 1820s by the Mason family. Prior to the railroad being built in Gadsden in the 1880s, Mason Grove was a thriving community with a boarding school known as Mason’s Grove Masonic Academy, a hotel, a post office, several churches and other businesses. Robert married Mary Susan Cox and they had nine children. Their names were Jim, Sophia, Winnie, Susie, Willis Wayne, Nannie, Edna, Emmet and Ernest. The family raised cattle, horses, cotton and hay. According to the family, the first cotton gin in the community was owned by Lemuel E. Humphreys and located between Gadsden and Humboldt off of what is currently Highway 79. It was later sold to Robert Buchanan Griggs in 1882 and was converted from horse power to windmill power and continuously updated through the years until it ceased operation in 1995.
After Robert passed away, the original 750 acres was split among his children into 14 different tracts. Over the years, several tracts were bought and sold between the family members. The family remembers that a generator was located behind the Robert Buchanan Griggs house that supplied power to the Mason Grove community. During this time, the farms mainly produced cotton, hay, cattle and horses.
In 1953, Willis Wayne Griggs died and his widow, Addie May Griggs, inherited the property. Willis and Addie had two children, James Wayne and Mary Jane. After his father’s death, James, who served in World War II, operated and managed the farm land, the store and cotton gin. In the early 1960s, James started a liquid fertilizer and chemical business on the farm. James and his wife Margaret Collinsworth had two children, Robert Wayne and James Terrance. James and Robert both served as members of the National Cotton Board and regularly attended their meetings. During the 1970s and 1980s, James acquired more of the tracts of the original farmland. In the 1980s, the fertilizer and chemical business ceased operations, and in 1995, the cotton gin closed.
Today, the farm is owned by Robert Matthew Griggs, the great, great grandson of the founder, and his mother, Joanna Vanderpool Griggs, and his sister, Jocelyn Leah Griggs Bundy. In 2002, the farm diversified its products with corn, hybrid Bermuda grass hay, grain sorghum, soybeans and cotton. Currently, the land is worked by Robert who lives on the farm in a 1900 dwelling with his wife Kelley Marie Lavin Griggs and their children, Paige Marie, Nathaniel Marshall, and Carter Wayne. Robert also rents an additional 1200 acres in Crockett and Madison counties. The family reports that the historic farm houses, cotton gin, office, and shop are intact on the property.Photo: Historic aerial view of the cotton gin on the Griggs Farm, LLC.
Claude M. Conley
Banking, town development and agricultural leadership
highlight the history of the Hillcrest Farm. Cordelia Green Conley and her
husband Tolbert Fanning Conley established Hillcrest Farm near the town of
In 1896, Columbus H. Conley, the founders’ grandson,
inherited the family land and over the years he purchased 1,200 additional
This Century Farm retains much of its turn of the century
farming landscape. The neat orchard rows reflect the values of progressive
farming in the early twentieth century. The farmhouse, a large two-story
Georgian home, represents the wealth the Conley family has generated from their
Holly Tree Farm
John M. Reams
Elizabeth C. Reams
J.W. Williams purchased a 267-acre farm in Crockett County, near the Bells community, in 1904. Like many other farmers in fertile Crockett County, Williams raised cotton and corn. He and wife May were the parents of James and Charles.
In 1919, J.W. Williams sold 207 acres of the farm to his brother, J.S. Williams. J.S. also raised cotton and corn as primary crops and added strawberries. He operated a general store on the farm until the early 1930s. J. S. allowed many families to have food on credit during the harsh years now known as the Great Depression. When people could not pay their bills, he was forced to close the store. During these years, he planted a turnip patch the crops from which he offered to anyone who was hungry. J.S. and his wife, Mame, had nine children. Mame inherited the farm in 1947 and raised cotton, corn and soybeans.
After Mame’s death around 1965, eight children of Mame and J.S. inherited the farm. These owners were Jewel Jones, Clifton Williams, Owen Williams, Lake Williams, Margaret Williams, Rebecca Williams, Lenora Williams Reams and Lacy Williams. They raised cotton, corn, soybeans and wheat on the farm.
In 1966, Lenora Williams Reams acquired the family farm. Married to Joe M. Reams, they were the parents of John M. and Lacy. The family raised cotton, corn, soybeans and wheat on the farm.
Brothers John and Lacy Williams inherited the farm in 1985. They continued to raise cotton, corn, soybeans and wheat on the farm. After Lacy’s death in 2007, his widow, Elizabeth, inherited his share of the farm. The current owners of the farm are John Reams and his sister-in-law Elizabeth Reams. John and his mother, Lenora Reams, continue to live on the farm while Mike and Don Pearson work the land. A century-old cypress barn, built for livestock soon after the farm was established, continues to be part of the landscape at Holly Tree Farm.
Edith Peck Branch
James Howell Branch
Howell Branch of Smith County established the
Homeplace Farms, located two miles west of
Humphrey inherited 100 acres of the family farm in 1879. Serving the local community as a highway commissioner, a census taker and a county magistrate, he continued the family traditions of community service and diversified farming and “made early use of modern conveniences” such as carbide lights.
Married to Virginia Parker, Humphrey also helped raise
three children. In 1944,
As of 1976, the Branch family operated the property as a cattle farm, breeding registered Black Angus cattle. They also grew hay, soybeans and raspberries. At that time, the main house of Homeplace Farms, which dates to the 1850s, was intact, along with a smokehouse, well house, servants house and chicken house dating to the nineteenth century.
James Benjamin Humphreys
The impact of modern machinery on twentieth century agriculture was particularly important to the history of the Humphreys Farm. Purchasing 222 acres located three miles southwest of Humboldt, William G. Humphreys and his wife Mary Todd founded the Humphreys Farm a year after the Civil War. William, Mary and their ten children were “active in local politics, (the) Christian church. . . (and) agricultural and educational pursuits.” William, a Mason, cultivated cotton, corn, wheat, oats and hay while raising several types of livestock.
In 1884, Lemuel E. Humphreys, the founders’ son,
purchased the family land and soon expanded his farm to approximately 1,000
acres. Cotton and corn were the farm’s primary cash crops, but Lemuel, his wife
Mary Hart and their children managed a diversified farm and produced several
types of crops and livestock. In the early 1880s, Lemuel also operated a cotton
gin and for many of his adult years, he served on the
The founders’ grandson, Thomas Hart Humphreys, inherited 74 acres of the farm in 1929 and seventeen years later he acquired 428 acres of the property. Thomas brought the farm into the modern age of agriculture. In 1912, he acquired an automobile and in 1918 he bought an Avery tractor, “paving the way for mechanization of the farm.” Thomas married Lila Grace and they had six children.
In 1946, Mr. and Mrs. James B. Humphreys acquired 67 acres of the original farm and they worked this land, along with 100 additional acres, for the next thirty years, with soybeans, cotton, hay and livestock being their primary agricultural products.
J. W. Williams Farm
Clint & Carolyn Williams
In 1908, Elisha and Louisa’s grandson W. Z. Williams acquired 96.5 acres of the original farm and later purchased 270 additional acres. Together with his wife Mary Griggs and their seven children, W. Z. managed a successful cotton and corn farm, surviving even the hard times of the Great Depression.
The founders’ great grandson J. W. Williams inherited 270 acres of the farm in 1948. Following a family tradition, J. W. continued to grow cotton, but he also began to cultivate soybeans. Today, Clint and Carolyn Williams, who is the granddaughter of W. Z. Williams, own the farm. According to the family, Carolyn's daughter, Macy Pierce, currently lives in a new home that is located where W. Z. William's old home place once stood.
M & M Farm
Margaret C. Norville
Marvin C. Norville
The M & M Farm, located southeast of
The next owner of the farm was the
founder’s son-in-law, F. M. Goldsmith. He and his wife Margaret Laman had three
In 1914, Clem M. Clark, the husband
Photo: Margaret Norville, the current owner of the farm, holds a woven spread that was made by the founder's wife, Susan Laman.
Vivienne I. Hannum
In 1818, long before Crockett County was established in 1871, Isaac and Rachel Koonce settled on 640 acres. With their adopted daughter, Macy Jones Koonce, they raised row crops and livestock. After her mother’s death in 1877, Macy acquired the farm. She and her husband, John D. Burnett, along with their two children, Mallie and Samuel, continued to raise cotton, corn, cattle and hogs.
Following Macy’s death in 1926, Mallie and Samuel each received 300 of the original 640 acres. The remaining 40 acres went to Solomon Koonce, a former slave, who lived on his land until his death at age 100.
Mallie and her husband, Oscar Green Birmingham, along with their son, Bernice Albert Birmingham, raised cotton, corn, cattle and soybeans. They lived in her parents’ house, while her brother, Samuel and wife Mary built a house just down the road on his acreage.
Bernice inherited 300 acres when his mother died in 1938 and purchased another 300 acres from his cousins, the children of his Uncle Samuel and Aunt Mary, bringing most of the original acreage together in one farm again. He and his wife, Stella Irene Stephens, had one daughter, Vivienne Irene. They raised cotton, soybeans, cattle, pigs and chickens for eggs.
Vivienne B. Hannum is the current owner and the great-great- granddaughter of founders Isaac and Rachel Koonce, both of whom are buried in the family cemetery across the road from her house.
Currently owning 183 acres of the original farm, Vivienne inherited the land in 1986 after her mother died and is the fifth generation of her family to own this property. Now 90 years old, Vivienne is no longer active in farming but employs a manager to raise cotton and soybeans. She currently lives in the family home constructed before 1900.
Johnny Max Mount
Lynn Harris Mount
In 1860, Harris Noblin Mount established a 100 acre farm in what
Henry Winchester Mount, the son of Harris and his fourth wife, Martha Jane Stephenson, acquired the farm in 1912 following his father’s death. Wed to Naudie Dobbins, the couple had six children -- Ira, John Harris, Dorothy Helen, Donald Conyers, James and Hilda. The family produced cotton, corn, hay, cattle, horses and mules on the farm.
In 1965, John Harris Mount became
the third generation to own the farm. He and his wife, Lavern Lucille McGarity,
had three children. Today, these
siblings, Johnny Max, Lynn Harris, and Ann, are the owners of the property.
Currently, Ann and her husband Glenn Stanley live on the farm and
Photo (top right): Harris Noblin Mount, the founder of Mount Farm.
Photo (bottom left): Ann Mount Stanley standing in front of the cypress tree planted by the founder's daughter.
Oakcrest Polled Herefords Farm
Crockett County was formed in 1871 from portions of Madison, Haywood, Gibson and Dyer counties. Just a year earlier, however, in 1870, Oakcrest Polled Herefords Farm which is located northeast of Bells on Highway 78 was founded by David Allen Crossnoe and wife Margaret V. Crossnoe.
At that time, the 30-acre farm produced, cotton, corn and truck patches, and vegetables. The couple had three children, and their son, Whit Crossnoe, became the next owner in 1928. He and his wife, Nevara, had nine children. During the time on the farm, the acreage produced cotton and corn.
The farm’s current owner is the founder’s great-granddaughter, Carolyn
Skelton. She and husband Gerald Richard Skelton live on the now 115-acre
farm, where they raise Registered Polled Herefords.
Photo: David Allen Crossnoe, Margaret V. Crossnoe and children on the
farm in the early 1900s.
Potts Farm W. A. E. Potts This Century Farm dates to 1866 when Ellison Potts of
In 1900, Ellison and Judy’s only child, J. L. Potts,
inherited the property. J. L., his wife Mary Pennington and their five children
managed a successful farm and added 198 acres to their holdings. In 1936, the
founders’ grandsons, W. A. E. and J. E. Potts, acquired the farm. Forty years
later, they still lived on the property, managing its daily operations. In
1976, Travis Raines worked the land for the Potts brothers, producing soybeans,
corn, cotton, hay and cattle.
Riddick Farm Irene Agee Riddick John D. Agee founded the Riddick Farm, located four
miles northwest of Irene Agee Riddick, the founder’s great granddaughter,
acquired the original family land in 1952 to which she later added 116 acres.
As of 1976, Irene lived on the farm with her son Karel and his family.
J. E. Potts
Photo: David Allen Crossnoe, Margaret V. Crossnoe and children on the farm in the early 1900s.
W. A. E. Potts
This Century Farm dates to 1866 when Ellison Potts of
In 1900, Ellison and Judy’s only child, J. L. Potts, inherited the property. J. L., his wife Mary Pennington and their five children managed a successful farm and added 198 acres to their holdings. In 1936, the founders’ grandsons, W. A. E. and J. E. Potts, acquired the farm. Forty years later, they still lived on the property, managing its daily operations. In 1976, Travis Raines worked the land for the Potts brothers, producing soybeans, corn, cotton, hay and cattle.
Irene Agee Riddick
John D. Agee founded the Riddick Farm, located four
miles northwest of
Irene Agee Riddick, the founder’s great granddaughter, acquired the original family land in 1952 to which she later added 116 acres. As of 1976, Irene lived on the farm with her son Karel and his family.
Margaret J. and James M. Hendrix
The Riddick-Turnage Farm, located northwest of Maury City in Crockett County,
was founded by Joseph L. Riddick in 1838. At the time the land was in parts of
Dyer and Haywood County as Crockett would not be formed until 1871. Riddick
acquired 425 acres but continued purchasing additional acreage through 1851
until he owned 2100 acres. Before moving to Tennessee, Riddick and his wife,
Iritta Yarrell, had four children and owned a considerable amount of land in
North Carolina. When Joseph and Iritta, along with three of Joseph’s brothers,
told their family they were moving to the “Western District,” some relatives
thought they would be heading to “western destruction.” This was clearly not the
case for the Riddicks immediately built a two-story home on their substantial
acreage which eventually stretched to “Booth’s Corner” in Maury City. They also
had three additional children who they named for admired men -Thomas Jefferson,
Francis Marion, and James Knox Polk. The Riddicks raised cattle and grew cotton,
corn, and hay. In 1851, Joseph was killed by a falling tree.
The estate was divided between Iritta, who remained a widow for forty years, and their children. A portion of the farm passed on to Thomas Jefferson Riddick. He and his wife Nancy Emily Riddick had thirteen children and this part of the original farm is traced through their son John Marshall Riddick. After John Marshall passed away, his wife Lida Pearl Burrow lived with their daughter, Mamie Riddick and her husband Tollie Earl Turnage, until she passed away.
The Turnage family lived and worked on the farm for many years, raising their three children – Sue, Earl, and Margaret Jane – there. While Mamie and Tollie operated the farm, the farm supported corn, cotton, alfalfa, fruit and nut trees, and a vegetable garden as well as horses, cows, pigs, and chickens. Years after moving into Maury City, Tollie began managing Maury City Lumber and rented the family farm.
Today, the Riddick-Turnage Farm is owned by Margaret Jane Turnage and her
husband James M. Hendrix. Jane is the great-great-granddaughter of Joseph and
Iritta Riddick. They own 98 acres of the founder’s farm and actively support
farming activities as members of the Farm Bureau. While Jane teaches piano and
manages the farm, James is the manager-owner of the Tri-County Farmers Equipment
Company in Newbern and Trenton. Their son Bart is a manager at his father’s
equipment company and their daughter Karen Ray is a teacher at Newbern
Elementary. Larry Joe Bushart, a neighbor, works the 98 acre farm growing
soybeans, wheat, cotton, and corn.
Photo: Landscape of crops on the Riddick-Turnage Farm.
William Lee Todd
Rulee Farm was founded in 1905 by William Andrew Duffy and his wife Nancy Jane Mainord Duffey. The 127 acres produced, corn, cotton, and cattle. The couple had seven children. Their daughter, Ruby Mainord Duffey Todd, was the next owner of the land, along with her husband, Robert Lee Todd. She was the secretary of Crockett County Farm Bureau, active in County Home Demonstration Club, and a West Tennessee Women’s Leader in the Tennessee Farm Bureau. The Todds practiced soil conservation by building terraces and crop rotation. Rulee Farm won the Commerical Appeal’s Plant to Prosper Award for the county in the 1930s. The current owner of the farm is William Lee Todd, the grandson of the founder. He received the State FFA Farmer Degree in 1955 and the American Farmer Degree in 1958. Continuing his parents’ progressive farming techniques, he established parallel terraces, waterways, and all no-till crop production in 1989. The farm produces pasture, hay, cattle, goats and CRP land for wildlife. A barn built in 1938 and a windmill built in 1949 still stand on the farm that is 100 years old.
William Spence, III
Susannah Spence Brown
The Spence Farm is a good example of the
consolidation of agricultural landholdings during the twentieth century as
labor-saving machinery allowed farm families to manage larger and larger tracts
of property. Established by Joe S. Spence of
Joe was a veteran of the Confederate army and four years after his death in 1908 the farm was deeded to his son Dr. William G. Spence, Sr., a then-recent graduate of the University of Tennessee Medical School. William expanded the farm to 500 acres and when he died in 1934, his wife and his son William G. Spence, II, acquired the property. William more than doubled the size of the farm and for the next 50 years he counted corn, cotton, soybeans, wheat and livestock among his farm’s commodities.
Upon his death of William Spence, II, in 1985, his son William, III, his daughter Susannah Spence Brown and his wife Jean inherited the property. Today, William works over 1,500 acres of land, raising livestock and cultivating cotton and soybeans.
Tritt Place Farm
Edwin M. Tritt
W.E. Tritt established his farm in the 14th Civil District of Crockett County in December of 1910. Like many other farmers in Crockett County, he raised cotton, as well as corn and cattle, on his 90 acres that he purchased for $1,836. He and his wife Mamie were the parents of nine children. Their son, W. K. became the next owner.
W.K. and his wife, Flora Geraldine, purchased the 90-acre family farm November of 1941. The second generation continued to raise the same crops which were very marketable commodities in World War II. W.K. and Geraldine were the parents of twelve children.
In 1994, Edwin M. Tritt inherited the 90 acres first worked by his grandfather. He and his wife Jewel are the parents of Darren who, with his wife, Amber, is the fourth generation to live on this farm. Edwin manages the farm and continues to raise successfully the family’s traditional crops and livestock.
Just after the turn of the twentieth century, William Seth Moore and his wife, Susan Annie Jones, purchased 173 acres south of Alamo on January 5, 1900. The couple eventually had eight children, and like most west Tennessee farm families, they grew cotton primarily but also corn and livestock.
In 1915, their daughter, Brooksy Moore Vaden, purchased twenty acres of the farm. Here, she and her husband, John R. Vaden, raised their three sons, Jack, John, Jr., and Doyle.
Doyle D. Vaden was the next generation to own this portion of the farm; he acquired it in 1959. He and his wife, Rachel Phillips Vaden, had five children – Lewis, John, Don, Michael, and Beverly – and grew corn, cotton, beans, and wheat.
Today, Don, John, and Michael Vaden are the owners and lease the land to Edwin Tritt Farms, LLC, who grow cotton, soybeans, corn, and wheat. Three generations of the Vaden family live on the farm.
The Ward Farm consists of over 100 acres located
seven miles southeast of
Thomas wed Josephine Edwards and they had nine children. Throughout their ownership of the farm, the Wards produced the typical crops and livestock of the region-cotton, corn and cattle-while expanding their farms to 104 acres.
In 1916, Nettie Ward, the founders’ granddaughter, obtained the family’s 104 acres and in 1970 the founders’ great grandson, Wiley Franklin Ward, acquired 74 acres of the original family farm. Wiley and his family of three grew cotton, corn and soybeans and also managed a small livestock herd. In 1978, Wiley acquired additional tracts of the farm and today the Wards use their land to grow cotton, soybeans and garden vegetables.