Fentress County

Fentress County Map

This map is intended for general geographical understanding. It does not provide the specific locations of the farms in order to protect the owners’ privacy. Map Courtesy of Carole Swann, Tennessee Department of Agriculture.

Fentress County was created from parts of Overton and Morgan counties in 1823. The county was named in honor of James Fentress, the Speaker of the Tennessee House of Representatives, who assisted in passing the enabling legislation for the new county. Jamestown serves as the county seat. One industry that has played an economic role in the county is coal mining, which created the coal mining towns of Davidson and Wilder. Some of the notable attractions in the county include the Big South Fork National Recreation Area, the Sgt. Alvin C. York State Historical Area and Highland Manor, which is the state’s oldest licensed winery. For more information regarding Fentress County, please go to the Tennessee Encyclopedia of History & Culture website.

Farm NameCountyDate FoundedSpecial Recognition
Big Dry Farm Fentress 1876
Clayton Upchurch Farm Fentress 1847
Cooper Farm Fentress 1835
Jerry Green Farm Fentress 1859
Lyman S. Pile Farm Fentress 1899
Otto Pile Farm Fentress 1850
Reed Farm Fentress 1830
Tompkins Blaxksmith Farm Fentress 1910
V.H. Pile Farm Fentress 1901
W.R. Reed Farm Fentress 1904