Fentress County was created from parts of Overton and Morgan counties in 1823. The county was named in honor of James Fentress, the Speaker of the Tennessee House of Representatives, who assisted in passing the enabling legislation for the new county. Jamestown serves as the county seat. One industry that has played an economic role in the county is coal mining, which created the coal mining towns of Davidson and Wilder. Some of the notable attractions in the county include the Big South Fork National Recreation Area, the Sgt. Alvin C. York State Historical Area and Highland Manor, which is the state’s oldest licensed winery. For more information regarding Fentress County, please go to the Tennessee Encyclopedia of History & Culture website.
|Farm Name||County||Date Founded||Special Recognition|
|Will Huff Farm||Fentress||1910|
|Williams and Pile Farm||Fentress||1850|
|Williams Farm (aka Kenthrease Farm||Fentress||1872|