For a brief historical sketch of each farm, click on the farm name.
Clinchview Acres Farm
Mossy's Creek Farm
Stony Acres Farm
The following map is for a general geographical understanding. It does not provide the specific locations of the farms because of privacy reasons.
Map courtesy of Carole Swann, Tennessee Department of Agriculture
Clinchview Acres Farm
The history of Clinchview Acres Farm contains important
information about nineteenth century transportation on the
In 1959, the fourth generation owner of the Clinchview
Acres, Gaston Garland, inherited eleven acres of the original farm.
Mossy’s Creek Farm
Jake S. Watson
Carol W. Watson
Not all Century Farms descend directly from parent to child through the generations. Century Farms also may remain in the same family through ownership by sisters, brothers, cousins, nieces, nephews, spouses or adopted children of the founders.
Mossy’s Creek Farm, which is not far from the Hancock-Claiborne county line remains in the family by way of an extended family connection. Munless Collins purchased 59 acres in the Mulberry Gap community in 1907. In addition to this property, Collins also owned several other small farms in Hancock County as well as a country store in Mulberry Gap. Munless and his wife, Fluie Horton Collins, were the parents of eight children and raised corn, tobacco, wheat, timber and cattle.
Daniel Boone Horton, Fluie’s brother, acquired the 59 acres in 1921. Daniel also owned several other properties, which included farms and general stores. He generally was known in the area as a merchant and a buyer and seller of property. Daniel married Adalaid Collins, a first cousin of Munless Collins, and their four children were Neil Horton, Alyce, Mossy and Isabell.
In 1931, Mossy Horton Watson, a second cousin to Munless Collins, acquired the farm. She married Estel Watson, and they owned and operated the farm for more than 50 years. Mossy, a full-time and hardworking homemaker, also was very active in her home demonstration club and church. Estel was a teacher who later worked as a chemist for the Tennessee Valley Authority at Norris Dam. They raised tobacco and cattle and did timbering on the farm.
Jake Watson, the son of Mossy and Estel, and his wife, Carol, looked after his parents until their deaths. He then acquired what he calls Mossy’s Creek Farm, in tribute to his mother, in 1985. Jack manages and works the farm, raising tobacco, hay, timber and Black Angus cattle. He and his wife, Carol Walker Watson, live on the farm in a new house they completed this year.
Photo: View of Mossy’s Creek Farm
Parkey Farm dates to 1826, when Peter and Mary Shoun Parkey acquired 1,200 acres of land located seventeen miles northwest of Sneedville. The owner of a large number of slaves, Peter managed a plantation that produced corn, hay, cattle and draft horses.
Of Peter and Mary’s twelve children, Issac Parkey became the second owner of Parkey Farm. With 600 acres at his disposal, Issac, his wife Rhoda Bales and their six children lived well, despite the inherent difficulties of farming in a region torn apart by the violence of the Civil War and Reconstruction.
After Issac’s ownership, the family land passed through
the hands of three more generations. C. V. Parkey, the third generation owner,
received a federal contract to supply beef cattle to feed government employees
Photo: A view of the farm landscape on the Parkey Farm.
Stony Acres Farm
Rector Kyle Greene
Bill J. Greene
Alfred T. Greene
Many present-day southerners believe that stories about blood feuds are mere legends, part of Southern lore. The history of Stony Acres Farm, however, is a reminder that feuds were part of the region’s historical experience. R. D. and Polly Greene established the Stony Acres Farm, located five miles southeast of Sneedville, in 1875. The founders and their seven children worked 100 acres and produced corn, oats, wheat, cattle and swine. Robert A. Greene, who inherited the farm from his parents in 1883, later added 80 acres to the family’s landholdings. Robert and his wife Patsy Seal also managed a more diversified farming operation, which included tobacco, sorghum and sheep.
The Greene-Jones War, a blood feud between the Greene and
Jones families of
In 1941, 205 acres of the family land passed into the hands of Henry S. Greene, the founders’ great grandson. Today, Henry’s sons manage his estate and count cattle, swine, tobacco, corn, hay and vegetables as the farm’s products.