For a brief historical sketch of each farm, click on the farm name.
Map courtesy of Carole Swann, Tennessee Department of Agriculture
Mrs. T.R. Meadow
In 1853, William Holland and Patsy Williams Meadow founded the Meadowdale Farm with 470 acres of land located ten and a half miles south of Waverly. When they arrived at their new home, the Hurricane Mills area “was a thriving mill community, built around a cloth and woolen mill run by water from a dam on Hurricane Creek.” William, who was a “great camp meeting enthusiast,” produced corn, hay, swine and beef cattle on his farm.
Richard Steele Meadow received the farm from his parents in 1887. A veteran of the Mexican War and a former Confederate volunteer, Richard and his wife Rebecca Crockett raised thirteen children, several of whom died in infancy. For the most part, his agricultural commodities were the same as his father’s.
Mrs. T.R. Meadow, the current owner acquired
the farm in 1922. She has purchased an
80 acre tract of land along the
Page Place Farm
Andrew B. Dodson, Jr.
Established by James and Jane Crockett Shannon in
1814, the Page Place Farm, located thirteen miles south of Waverly, is the
Mrs. Champlin Butterfield
Easton Parks Lebo
Late nineteenth and early twentieth century agricultural success was often keyed to the local government’s ability to support the farming community. The construction of bridges, new roads and improved communication occurred quickly in some counties while others could not afford such projects until the mid-twentieth century. The Parks Farm of Humphreys County is a good example of the relationship between more efficient transportation and agricultural prosperity.
Located fourteen miles south
of Waverly, the Parks Farm dates to 1873 when William C. and Mary Walker Jones
purchased their first 140 acres of land. The founders and their five children
built one of the region’s largest farms, which eventually included over 1,400
acres. The family grew corn, peanuts, hay, wheat, stock peas and livestock. As
a member of the county court, William argued for the construction of bridges
over the Duck and
1903, the founders’ daughter
In 1974 two of the founders’ granddaughters, Mrs. Champlin Butterfield and Rebecca Parks, together with a great grandson, Easton Parks Lebo, obtained the farm. They produce cattle, soybeans, and hay.
Pleasant Oaks Farm
In selecting their initial homestead, most
Shortly after the family’s arrival in
In 1925, Pleasant Corbitt inherited the farm. Wed to Rena McCrary, Pleasant planted new crops such as soybeans and lespedeza. Due to a planned flood control project, Pleasant sold nine acres to Tennessee Valley Authority in the 1940s. Upon her father’s death in 1948, Emma Corbitt took control of the farm. When she died in 1981, the farm was left to her two brothers and two sisters. James Corbitt, the founders’ great great great great grandson uses the farm’s remaining 10 acres of land for pasture.
history of the Scholes Farm, which is eleven miles north of Waverly,
illustrates the self-sufficient nature of
his land well watered by White Oak Creek, Scholes operated a profitable farm
featuring fruit and pecan trees. In addition, he owned a wood shop and worked
as a stone mason. He and Malinda had twelve children. In 1894, over 100 acres
was left to a grandson, F. Nathaniel Scholes. Nathaniel maintained the family’s
fruit and pecan orchards and opened a country store. He mined the salt sold at
the store from a saltpeter cave located on the farm. A well-respected
craftsman, Nathaniel “built his own home with timber taken from the farm and
chimney stones taken from the farm’s limestone rock quarry.” Like so many other
turn of the century farmers in
Nathaniel wed Lucy Hooper and they were the parents of eleven children. In 1947, one of their sons, Harley Scholes, obtained 70 acres of the family land. He is the current owner of the Scholes Farm. The crops that the farm cultivates include hay, corn, and pasture.
The Wilbert & Annie Enochs Farm
Joyce E. Bullington
Patricia Ann Bullington Davis
A millhouse, included on the National Register of Historic Places, a house built in 1890 and a number of 20th century farm buildings form the picturesque farmstead begun when Enoch Enochs purchased 210 acres four miles from McEwen in 1911. Enoch and his wife, Allie Hendershot Enochs, along with their four children, raised corn, hay, wheat and peanuts.
Wilbert Nathan Enochs acquired his parents’ farm in 1917. Annie May Davis was Wilbert’s wife, and they were the parents of Kenneth, Joyce and Thelma. In addition to managing the farm which produced corn, hay, wheat, soybeans, peanuts, cotton, dairy cattle, chickens and swine, Wilbert also built a dam and millhouse to generate electricity for his family and their neighbors. He also donated land for the Liberty Baptist Church and school, and Wilbert and Annie also purchased a school bus to transport community students to McEwen High School.
Wilbert and Annie’s daughter Joyce acquired the farm in 1980. Married to Ernest Ray Bullington (now deceased) she has two daughters, Patricia and Rebecca. Joyce and Patricia now own the farm. In the 1940s, Joyce was recognized as the Most Outstanding 4-H member for Humphreys County. Patricia who is married to Dorris Davis, and Rebecca also were active in 4-H. Dorris Davis participated in 4-H and FFA, and his and Patricia’s sons, Nathan and Enoch, who represent the next generation of family farmers, were very active in both 4-H and FFA. Joyce and Dorris operate the farm, where the family raises corn, soybeans, wheat, oats, hay, beef and dairy cattle, swine, chickens and hogs. The 1890 house is also operated as the Enochs Farm House Inn Bed and Breakfast.