For a brief historical sketch of each farm, click on the farm name.
Double E Farm
The following map is for a general geographical understanding. It does not provide the specific locations of the farms because of privacy reasons.
In 1839, William and Delila Jackson Brown established Beechwood Farm on 509 acres located in the 1st District of Lewis County. While the facts about the farm’s early history are sketchy, the Browns must have enjoyed some success because they purchased an additional 75 acres of land. Their crops included corn, wheat, cotton and the family also looked after herds of cattle, swine and sheep.
The founders were the parents of six children and their son John Wesley Brown was the farm’s second generation owner. John expanded the farm to over 700 acres. Together with his wife Annastasia Holmes and his five children, he grew corn, wheat, oats, hay and raised all types of livestock, including mules. Upon his death in 1918, John left his property to his children and they managed the land in partnership for the next four decades.
Between 1958 and 1961 Mildred Meece, the founders’ great granddaughter, acquired 475 acres of original family land. The land “had suffered the ravages of sharecroppers and neglect,” but Mildred slowly “restored (the farm) to its former state.” She now manages 581 acres and specializes in beef cattle production. The family uses one of the farm’s early log cabin residences as a hunters’ lodge.
Double E Farm
Jimmy B. and Betty Sue Perry
Established by John Campbell Perry in 1845, the Double E Farm originally had 232 acres devoted to corn, cotton, wheat, sheep, cattle, and swine. Perry, who married twice, fathered six children and son Robert Campbell Perry, inherited approximately 12 acres of land in 1889. He and his wife Flora Anderson had seven children and the property passed to their son Otey Perry in 1943. Jimmy B. and Betty Sue Perry obtained the farm in 1970. As of 1976, they had greatly expanded, owning an additional 440 acres and raising corn, hay, tobacco, cattle, and swine.
In the early 1800s, Jimmy Lankford and his son Benjamin Lankford came to
Benjamin’s son, William Lankford became the second
generation to own the farm. In addition to managing the farm, William received
medical training in
Their son, Enos Hickman Lankford became the next owner of the farm. Under his ownership, the farm raised tobacco, hay, mules, cattle, hogs, sheep and goats. In 1922, the original farmhouse burned, however, a new one was built in its place. Enos and his wife Laura Baker Lankford had six children. As time moved on, the couple’s eldest son, Carlos Hubert Lankford helped his father farm their land as well as some land they rented for growing crops.
In 1960, Enos died and the land was acquired by Carlos
Hubert. On the farm, Hubert raised corn, hay, tobacco, cattle, horses and hogs.
In 1992, Hubert was named the
Photo: Landscape and a rainbow on the Lankford Farm.
Nadine Robnett Cochran
Dorothy Robnett Sharpe
Rebecca Robnett Pollock
Located ten miles south of
The next owner of the farm was the founder’s son, Lois Dodson Robnett. Along with his wife, Hessie Davis Robnett, they raised corn, soybeans, hay, cattle, hogs and sheep on the farm. According to the family, during the Great Depression, Lois and Hessie traveled by horses and buggy to try to sell their produce to a mining community known as Allens Creek. After the Depression was over, Lois built a new barn on the farm.
In 1975, Nadine Robnett Cothran, Dorothy Robnett Sharpe, and Rebecca Robnett Pollock the grandchildren of the founders, acquired the farm. Today, the farm is managed by the family, but it is rented to people outside of the family and mainly produces corn and soybeans. Although the farmhouse has been remodeled and added on to over the years, two rooms of the original house remain intact.
Photo: The farmhouse on the Robnett Farm.
L. C. Loveless
Allie Sisco Loveless
A. J. Sisco
In 1906, Andrew Jackson (A. J.) Sisco established the Sisco-Loveless Farm near the mouth of Indian Creek and Big Swan Creek. The 92 ½ acres supported a variety of livestock and crops including peanuts, wheat, corn, hay, hogs, cattle, horses, cotton and mules. In addition to managing the farm, A. J. ran a country store and a saw mill. Married to Martha J. Whiteside Sisco, the couple had six children.
A. J.’s and Martha’s youngest child, Allie Sisco Loveless, became the next owner of the farm. Married to Comer Loveless, they c ultivated corn, hay, and soybeans and raised cattle, chickens, goats and horses. Also active in the community, the Loveless farm hosted an annual fish fry on July 4th and Christmas party for the community for a number of years. Her son describes his mother as a “Christian lady who always fed many people,” including preachers who were holding gospel meetings.
Today, L.C. Loveless owns the land along with his wife Bonnie R. Loveless and his mother Allie. The farm now raises corn, wheat, soybeans, hay, horses, cattle and hogs. The family lives in farm house built in 1910. A barn constructed in 1906 still stands on this farm that celebrates its 100th anniversary this year.
Photo: A log house and spring house at the Sisco-Loveless Farm.