For a brief historical sketch of each farm, click on the farm name.
Edwin Elliot Farm
G.R. Davis Farm
Hinton Haven Farm
J & J Farm
Maple Lawn Farm
McCauley Hill Farm
Meness Brothers Farm
Moore Family Farm
Three C Farm
W.C. Harvey Farm
W.E. Jones Farm
The following map is for a general geographical understanding. It does not provide the specific locations of the farms because of privacy reasons.
Map Courtesy of Carole Swann, Tennessee Department of Agriculture
William Bailey Allen
Allendale Farm, located six
miles north of
The founders’ son George Allen, was the farm’s second generation owner. He and his wife Elizabeth Blackwood raised thirteen children. Bailey F. Allen, the grandson of the founders, and Mary Jane Osburn raised six children. The farm prospered until the Civil War and Reconstruction. These were hard times indeed, ending in the loss of land and wealth. The land, however, remained productive throughout these years and the family raised corn, tobacco, hay and livestock.
Bailey F. Allen, Jr. (1863-1943) and his wife Eliza Emery
(1879-1963) maintained 300 acres of the original land grant. With his ownership Bailey started the farm down
the four pillars of income--selling wheat in the summer; cattle in the fall;
tobacco in the winter; and sheep in the spring. In 1932, Allen purchased a
William Bailey Allen, Sr. and Mary Elizabeth Farmer had two children, Amelia Allen Hartz and William Bailey Allen II. Members of the family, the sixth and seventh generations, continue to live in the original log and brick structures. The two original late eighteenth century dwellings are separately listed on the National Register of Historic Places. William Bailey Allen, Sr. continues the family tradition of teaching his great-grandchildren, the eighth generation, to protect and nurture the land.
Photo: Amelia Allen Hartz and W.B. Allen, Sr. receive a certificate, booklet and letter of congratulations from (Left) Terry Oliver, Deputy Commissioner, Tennessee Department of Agriculture and Governor Phil Bredesen at the Farmland Legacy Conference on October 10, 2008.
Beverly A. and Chris Schrichte
Josiah never married, and in 1871, the farm was inherited by the daughters of Neander and his wife Margaret. The three women, Lucy, Martha and Indiana, owned and operated the farm for more than 30 years, from 1871 to 1906. The current owners, Beverly Anderson Schrichte and spouse D. Chris Schrichte and Reva Anderson, are the eighth generation to farm this land. The 110-acre farm now produces hay, burley and dark tobacco, and horses. A primary family house built in 1896, a tobacco barn, cattle barn, smoke house and chicken house are still in use on the land today. Also, a cemetery, with the earliest burial date of 1817, is also located on the property.
John Manning IV
Six miles south of Clarksville lies the Beech Bend Farm, established by Samuel Roberts and Beedee Harrison in 1809. The couple had five children, James Harrison Roberts, Collin C. Roberts, Rebecca R. Roberts, Nancy Anna Harrison Roberts and Peter Pencham Roberts.
In 1823, James Harrison Roberts and his wife Elizabeth Caroline Neblett became the second generation to own the farm. During their ownership, the farm produced corn, wheat, cattle and hogs.
In 1858, John and Beedee Roberts Edmondson became the third owners of the property. The Edmondsons and their nine children kept busy throughout the year, cultivating tobacco and corn while raising cattle and swine.
In 1899, John Roberts Edmondson inherited the farm from his father. Working 135 acres of land, John added no new crops or livestock to the farm’s commodities. Married to Julia Lowe, John fathered four children and in 1930, his son John Lewis Edmondson inherited the entire farm. John Lewis managed the property for the next 54 years, raising tobacco, soybeans, hay and beef cattle. He added 50 acres to the property.
John Lewis died in 1984 and left the farm to his two daughters, Eleanor Edmondson Turoff and Angelyn Edmondson Manning, and left the house to his widow, Mary Lee Irby Edmondson. Soybeans, hay and cattle were the crops.
In 2002 John Louis Manning IV and Margaret Gray Manning bought the house and restored it. In August of 2007, John IV and his wife purchased the rest of the farm. Currently, John, Margaret and their son, John Louis Manning V, live in the restored 1873 farm house and raise soybeans, wheat and corn. John V is the ninth generation to live on Beech Bend farm in the 200 years that it has been in this family.
Photo: The farm house on the Beech Bend Farm was built in 1873.
Wade L. Bourne
Joe W. Bourne, IV
Four miles northeast of Clarksville is the Bourne family farm. Established by Joe Wimberley and Irene Battle Bourne in 1883, the farm originally contained 59 acres of land. Joe and Irene Bourne has six children and together the family worked the fields, growing corn and tobacco and raising swine and cattle.
Joe Wimberley Bourne died in 1911, but Irene continued to manage the property until her death in 1934. She deeded the farm to her sons, Lewis and Edward D. Bourne, and the two brothers operated the place for the next 40 years. From 1973 to 1977, Mrs. Kitty Beaumont Bourne, the widow of Lewis Bourne, owned the land. Four years later, the founders’ grandsons, Joe Wimberley Bourne, III, and Edward Douglas Bourne, obtained 181 acres of the property. Producers of tobacco, corn, hay and cattle, the brothers farmed the land for many years. They used a log-pen tobacco barn that dates to the late nineteenth century in their daily work.
After Edward passed away in 1995, his nephews, Joe W. Bourne, IV and Wade L. Bourne inherited his half-share of the farm. As time moved on, Joe W. Bourne, III, who was still alive but subsequently died in 2003, gave his half ownership to his sons as well. Although the brothers still own the farm, it is now leased to a local farmer for grain production. Wade L. Bourne continues to live in the original homeplace on Bourne Farm.
Katherine Trotter Cocke
In 1858, John and Hester Corlew Cocke established the
Cocke Farm, which is six and a half miles south of
The second generation owners were Pleasant D. and Molly Starkey Cocke. On 237 acres, Pleasant produced the same farm commodities as his parents produced. The farm continued to pass through the hands of different generations of the Cocke family during the twentieth century. Katherine Trotter Cocke, the farm’s present owner, is the widow of John Hartwell Cocke, the great grandson of the founders who obtained the family’s 237 acres in 1956. Katherine manages the farm’s production of hay and beef cattle and her nephew Wendell E. Jones works the land.
Modern progressive farming techniques have characterized
the recent history of the Corlew Farm, which dates to William and Eliza
Pritchard Corlew’s 1847 acquistion of 240 acres located eight miles south of
Erwin and Louise Lowe Corlew were the farm’s second generation owners. In 1886, they built a new dwelling and fourteen years later, they expanded the house to meet the needs of their six children. Like his father, Erwin was a farmer of diversified crops and many kinds of animals. He wanted his children to have a good education; consequently, he donated land for the construction of the Pleasant Mound school.
In 1963, Lewis Lowe Corlew acquired 194 acres of the family land. Throughout the twentieth century, progressive agricultural practices have characterized the farm’s activities. “Continuous cultivation has been carried on,” according to the family, “with conservation practices such as building terraces, waterways, ponds, cover crops and fertilization.” In 1969, the Montgomery County Soil Conservation District named Lewis a “Master Conservation Farmer.” His agricultural commodities now include hay, soybeans, corn, tobacco and wheat.Photo: Lewis Lowe Corlew stands in front of the remaining stone chimney from the original two-story, double log house built in the mid-nineteenth century.
John E. and Frances I. Dickson
The Dickson Farm, established in 1868 by John M. Dickson, is one half mile south of Southside. The founder, who married Martha Batson and fathered fourteen children, produced livestock, grains and tobacco on his 300 acres of land. John was a Civil War veteran, who worked this land until his death in the early twentieth century. Martha managed the property until her death in 1937.
One year later, Grafton Dickson inherited 127.5 acres of the property. He and his wife Gertrude Harned raised three children and their son John Edward Dickson acquired 47.5 acres of the farm in 1960. John, the grandson of the founder, has worked diligently to make this small tract of land productive. Today, John manages a herd of beef cattle.
Edwin Elliott Farm
The third Century Farm in
The farm’s next owner was Alva Eliott, the great grandson of the founder. He and his wife Daisy Frey, the parents of four children, worked 190 acres, specializing in tobacco production. In 1945, approximately 85 acres of the family land passed to Edwin Elliott, the great great grandson of John R. Elliott. Edwin presently manages 235 acres and plants grains and tobacco. John R. and Michael R. Davis, the founder’s great great great grandsons, carry out the farm’s everyday operations.
Carney and Ralph Eliott
Descendents of John R. Elliott also own the Elliott Farm, located eleven
miles east of
The founder’s great grandson, Richard Carney Elliott, was the third generation owner. Together with his spouse Mary Harris and his two sons, Carney and Ralph, Richard farmed 81 acres of the original Elliott land. His crops were tobacco, grains, swine and beef cattle.
In 1974, Carney and Ralph Elliott inherited the farm. The brothers manage almost 80 acres that yield both dark-fired and air-cured burley tobacco, wheat and corn. Currently working the land are the founder’s great great great grandsons, Michael R. and John R. Davis.
G. R. Davis Farm
The production of dark-fired tobacco is an important
Mary S. Langford was one of those grandchildren. She and her husband Dr. William S. Elliott farmed 397.5 acres, producing tobacco, grains and livestock. The Elliotts were the parents of seven children.
In 1964, Gilford Ray Davis, the great great grandson of John R. Elliott, inherited 102 acres of the original Elliott land. His crops are the same as those of the founder: livestock, grains and tobacco. Recent significant improvements to the property include new paved roads and the installation to a new waterline.
Kevin P. Grant
Samuel C. Grant
In early 1888, Samuel and J. R. Grant established a farm of 203 acres. Samuel and wife Cora were the parents of Vernon, Sterling, Dellie and Doris. Their farm’s primary crops were tobacco and cattle.
In 1925, most of the original farm acreage went to Samuel and Cora’s son, Vernon, and his wife, Viva. Along with their children—daughters Ruby Grant Harvey and Marie Grant Bumpus and sons Charles and Samuel Grant—they raised both dark-fired and burley tobacco and cattle.
The third owners of the farm were Samuel and Carolyn Grant. They and their son, Kevin, added row crops and other livestock to the burley tobacco and cattle.
Today, Kevin, the great-grandson of the founder has owned and operated the family farm since 1996. He and wife Sherry, along with their two children, Matthew and Ashley, and his parents, continue to live on the farm and raise burley tobacco.
Photo left: Burley tobacco cut and spiked.
Photo center: Kevin Scott in burley tobacco field.
Photo right: Burley tobacco on scaffold.
Dating to 1799, the Hargrove Farm is the second oldest
Century Farm in
The farm’s second generation owner was the founder’s son Thomas Green Hargrove. He and his wife Soannah Whittinton were the parents of four children. Except for their commodities of tobacco, grains and livestock, little else is known about this period in the farm’s history.
Herbert C. Hargrove, the founders’ great grandson,
obtained 42 acres of the original family farm in 1952. Herbert operated the
property for over 20 years, specializing in tobacco production. His widow now
manages a farm of 242 acres. She reports that the
Glenn H. Weakley
Agritourism is a growing trend on Tennessee farms as owners transition from some traditional crops and offer farming experiences and help people to understand the importance of farms historically and in our daily life. Historic Collinsville Farm is known today for its tours and agriculture education programs which attract school children and adults from May through October each year. Items on display vary from a loom to a trundle bed to the Blackhawk Corn Sheller invented by Clarksville resident A. H. Patch in the early 1900s. Students of all ages can learn about many aspects of family life in the nineteenth century. Owners Glenn and Joann Brown Weakley have been honored for their work and in 2009 received the “Lifetime Achievement Award” from the Montgomery County Arts and Heritage Council.
This family farm was founded in 1899 by Isham Sidney Harris. Harris and his wife, Eunice (Scott) Harris had one daughter, Martha Belle. The family raised corn, tobacco, and wheat on their 86 acres of land. In 1950, at Isham’s death, the land went to Martha Belle and her husband, Ewing Sanford Weakley. At this time, the farm totaled 416 acres. Martha and Ewing had four children, Glenn H. Margaret Ann, Rebecca, and Martha Ewing. They raised tobacco, corn, wheat, tobacco, hogs, and beef cattle.
Glenn H. Weakley inherited the farm in 1970. Glenn continues to work the farm of 413 acres to raise soybeans, corn, hay, wheat, tobacco, and beef cattle. He and JoAnn live on the farm with their nephew, Michael Armistead and their great niece and Michael’s daughter, Mattie Armistead. The farm is named for the community which was known as Collinsville as early as 1870 when the first post office opened. The name was changed to Southside in 1880 after confusion with the Collierville Post Office (near Memphis) which kept getting Collinsville mail. The Weakleys make use of several historic buildings to educate and entertain those who visit Historic Collinsville Farm. More information can be found at the Historic Collinsville website, www.historiccollinsville.com.
Photo: Built in 1899, the smokehouse still stands at Historic Collinsville.
Hinton Haven Farm
The Hinton Haven Farm dates to 1875 when Samuel A. and
Julia Mills Hinton purchased 136 acres of land six miles south of
In 1946, David E. Hinton obtained 90 acres of his grandparents’ land. David now owns 208 acres. Until 1981, he operated a dairy business. He and his wife live on the farm, together with his daughter Myranel Hinton Harker and her husband James Harker.
Horace and Cleo Hogan
Hoganswood Farm records in physical terms a remarkable continuity
between nineteenth century and modern agricultural activities. John Hogan, IV,
and his wife Caroline founded the Hoganswood Farm in 1866 at the conclusion of
the Civil War. They initially owned 125 acres of land located twelve miles east
In 1903, the farm passed to the youngest of the founders’ ten children, Frank Lafayette Hogan. Married twice, Frank fathered four children. His crops were those of his father: tobacco and sweet potatoes. In 1940, Byron G. Hogan inherited 70 acres of the farm. Today, he manages 100 acres of land, sharing ownership with his sons Horace and Cleo. That the grandson and the two great grandsons produce the same commodities as the founders is an uncommon example of continuity in agricultural production over the decades. This persistence of farming patterns is made all the more interesting because the family uses three buildings dating to the mid-nineteenth century---a log dwelling, corn crib and smokehouse---in its daily operations.
J & J Farm
John Robert Wall
The J & J Farm is located in the southeast corner of
The next owners of the farm were sons, Sidney and H. B. Wall. During their ownership, the farm produced swine, hay, tobacco, corn, cattle and sheep. Sidney and his wife Lottie had six children and H. B. and Hattie had three.
In 1960, the grandson of the founders, John Robert Wall, acquired the land. Over the years, John has made some improvements to the farm by building a new house and being the first residence with running water on the farm. Today, John his son, Johnny Wayne, work the land raising cattle, swine, corn and hay. Today four generations of the Wall family including the owner, Johnny Wayne and his wife Beverly, and their children and grandchildren, live on the farm established by the Wall ancestors over 130 years ago.
Photo: This home was built in 1896 and was the home of Margaret Wall.
Maple Lawn Farm
Mack S. Linebaugh, Jr.
Located 1.5 miles east of
The next owner of the land was James Sterling Linebaugh, the son of Jo and Mary. Under his ownership, the farm cultivated tobacco and corn and raised cattle and hogs. In addition to managing the farm, James raised five children with his wife Margaret G. Linebaugh. As time moved on, two of the couple’s children, Eva Garrett Linebaugh and Mack Stacks Linebaugh acquired the farm.
In 1961, Eva passed away and her interest was inherited by her brother Mack. Along with his wife, Jane Beasley, Mack had two children. Their names were Margaret Jane and Mack S. Linebaugh, Jr.
In 1978, Mack S. Linebaugh, Jr. became the owner of the land. Today, Mack works the land with his neighbor James Slack and they cultivate soybeans, wheat, corn and tobacco on the farm.
Mary A. Marks
Julia W. Marks
William S. Powers
In 1899, Mary Hunt Marks Gholson acquired a farm of over 700 acres. Mary’s son was named Albert Smith Marks, II. The family, including Mary’s husband, Alexander Gholson, produced tobacco, corn and wheat. The Tennessee Central Railroad constructed a part of its rail system through the farm.
The second generation to own the farm was the founder’s son, Albert S. Marks, II. Married to Louise Hunter, their children were Arthur, Dempsey, Albert and Mary. Under this ownership, the family raised tobacco, corn, wheat and beef cattle. According to the family, a general store was opened at the Gholson Railroad stop and Albert served as a John Deere dealer and operated a grain mill in the community.
In 1958, the children of Albert and Louise inherited the property. Each of the children married and had several children. Arthur wed Cynthia Patch and they had three children, Arthur, Albert P., and George. Dempsey married Julia Wilcox and they also had Connie, Julia and Robert. Albert married Madeline McAlarney and they had one son, Albert and three daughters, Mary A., Rebecca and Emily. Richard wed Mary and they had three children names Richard, Albert M. and William. During this period, the farm produced tobacco, corn, soybeans, wheat, beef cattle and dairy cattle. The dairy was started by Arthur and is one of the few dairies still operating in the county.
Today, the farm is owned by the great granddaughter of the founder, Mary A. Marks, the great grandsons, George Marks and William Powers and Julia W. Marks. Currently, the land is worked by George who raises corn, wheat, soybeans, tobacco, beef and dairy cattle. In addition to his farming duties, George is active in the Farm Bureau, the Montgomery County Cooperative and the Burley Stabilization Board. A farm house that was constructed by the second generation owner as a residence is Mary’s home. In addition, a mill that was originally used to grind grain, a tobacco barn that was built in the 1880s and a log corn crib remain standing.
Photo (Left): A view of the corn crib on the farm.
Photo (Right): This mill was originally used to grind grain.
McCauley Hill Farm
In 1833, George and Elizabeth McCauley established the
McCauley Hill Farm on 300 acres of land located six miles southeast of
Penalope McCauley inherited the farm in 1884 and she placed the farm before a public auction. Her sister and brother-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. R. D. Moseley, bought the place for $5,000. Twenty years later, R. D. Moseley died and left the farm to his daughter Corine Moseley Williams, who managed the 518 acres until 1933. Her son Robert Moseley Williams acquired the farm in that year.
For the last 53 years, Robert has managed all of the farm’s original acreage. His crops have included tobacco, corn and Angus cattle. He has also bred and shown Tennessee Walking Horses. In the 1970s, Robert made his sons and daughter co-owners of the McCauley Hill Farm and his son Richard now works the farm on a daily basis.
Menees Brothers Farm
James L. Menees
Robert K. Menees
1889, Robert L. Menees founded the Meneess Brothers Farm two miles south of
Kentucky State Line in
next owner of the land was Robert’s and
In 1967, Robert’s and Katherine’s sons, James L. Menees and Robert K. Menees became the owners of the farm. Today, the brothers still own the land and James works the land. The farm now produces corn, wheat, soybeans, burley tobacco, alfalfa, pasture and beef cattle.
Photo: A burley tobacco barn on the farm.
George H. Moore
In 1908, Thomas and Sarah Castleberry founded a 250 acre farm in
the 22nd district of Montgomery County, near the county line with
The children of Thomas and Sarah– Frank, Mary, Irvin, Russell, Ben, James, and Nora – inherited the land in 1943. Eventually the siblings sold their property to their sister, Nora and her husband George H. Moore, Sr. Under their ownership, the farm produced generally the same crops and livestock as that of her parents.
In 1988, the grandson of the founder, George H. Moore, Jr. acquired the farm. George, a veteran of the Vietnam War, manages the farm and works the land where he raises tobacco, corn, and soybeans. Over the years, George has been very involved in agricultural related activities. He was in 4-H, is a Farm Bureau member, and works closely with the U.T. Extension Service.
Mrs. Charles R. Nichols
Justine N. Jones
Nichols Farm was founded in 1900 by Charles Ruben Nichols and his
wife Annie Summerhill Nichols. Parents
of nine children, the Nichols raised wheat, tobacco, and corn, cattle, and hogs
on 400 acres. Three of their children,
Charles R., Ruth and Georgia Nichols
became the next owners of the land.
Charles R. Nichols and his wife Linda lived and worked on the farm,
raising hay and corn, among other crops, on the property which also supports
woodlands. After Charles R. Nichols
death in 2004, Linda completed the certification of the Century Farm application
and retains ownership of the farm along with her sister-in-law Justine Nichols
Anna Belle Powers
Eighteen miles southeast of
The founders raised four children and their son E. Wilson Powers was the second owner of the family land. Wilson, the husband of Mary Webb, built a special storage building for his annual sweet potato crop. He also produced corn, tobacco and livestock. In 1970, Louis Powers and his wife Anna Belle Cocke inherited 144 acres of the farm. Wendell Jones works the land for Mrs. Powers and looks after a herd of cattle.
Chris J. Rinehart
Steve P. Rinehart
Nearly 175 years ago, Jacob W. Rinehart purchased a farm that carries his name and which his descendents continue to work. Though the family has little information on Jacob and his wife, they know the names of six children-- John, Jacob, Pleasant, Abram, Mary Ann and Nancy.
It was Abram who acquired the farm in 1854. He and his wife Mary had five children. They also adopted brother Pleasant’s two children after his death. The farm supported a variety of crops and livestock.
In 1906, the grandson of the founder, John W. Rinehart obtained the property. He and his wife Betty, had three children. Eventually, one of their children, Boyd Rinehart, managed the farm and produced hay, tobacco, soybeans, wheat, cattle, hogs and chickens. Wed to Bessie Rinehart, the couple had two children, John and Ann.
The fifth generation to own the farm was John Boyd Rinehart who obtained the property in 1996. John and his wife Pat had two sons, Chris and Steve. On the 190 acres, the family raised tobacco, soybeans, corn, sorghum and cattle.
In 2006, Chris J. and Steve Rinehart became the owners of the farm. They mainly produce hay and have planted blueberries which they operate as an agritourism venture. Chris and Steve continue the tradition begun by their great, great, great grandparents on Rinehart Acres.
Vernon M. Carrigan
Mark Thomas Carrigan
Bordered by the Cumberland River, the Rinehart-Carrigan Farm was established by Jacob Solomon Rinehart in 1878 with the purchase of 92 acres from Jacob Brown. Both Jacob and his wife Amy Ann [Powers] were born and raised in the Hickory Point community. “Jake” and “Annie” had four children, Alonzo Allen, Edgar A., Laura, and Gus. Over the years, Jake expanded the farm to include 245 acres on which he raised tobacco. The farm was established near the remains of a Native American village which has been dated to over 1,000 years ago. In the 1880s, they built their farmhouse that their descendents continue to live in today. Jake and Annie, with three other couples, including the ancestors on the paternal side of the current farm owners, established what is now the Hickory Point United Methodist Church. Each generation of Rinehart-Carrigan farm owners has attended this church. Jake and Annie are buried in the Davidson Cemetery, which is bordered on three sides by the farm, along with many of their descendants.
Alonzo purchased 234 acres from his father in 1928. Alonzo, with his wife Nina and daughter Lois, continued to live in the house with his father after his mother passed away. “Lonze” attended a private academy in Cumberland City for a time. Like his father, he continued to raise tobacco but also raised corn and mules. According to the family, he loved and cared for his mules, at times doing chores like having the family carry baskets of sweet potatoes instead of using the mules and a wagon. When asked why they did not use the mules, Mr. Lonze simply replied, “Shucks. Dog gone. We won’t bother my mules for something so easy.”
The third owner of the farm was Lois Rinehart Carrigan in 1961. She and her husband Vernon B. Carrigan had three children, Ruth Ann, Vernon Michael, and Mark Thomas, and continued to raise tobacco, cattle, and corn. Vernon also worked off the farm as a tobacco solicitor for various tobacco warehouses and the Tennessee Department of Revenue. During the 1950s and 1960s, he also served the 15th Civil District as a magistrate. Lois is remembered as “a hard working, diligent, faithful woman who loved housework, gardening, cooking, canning, and the care of her family.”
Over one hundred years after the founding of the Rinehart-Carrigan Farm, brothers Vernon “Mike” and Mark Carrigan acquired the farm in 1982. They were members of the 4-H Club at Fredonia Grammar school and Mark was a member of the FFA at Clarksville High School. Mike works as a physician and Mark is a Methodist minister in McMinnville. The brothers write that although “we ourselves did not choose farming as our life’s work . . . we will always cherish our farm and our boyhood experiences there as they are a large part of who we are.”Photo: This photograph was taken circa 1915. Jacob Solomon, the founder is first on the right and his son Alonzo is fifth from the right.
Laurence George Teeter, Jr.
Carol David Teeter
Adjacent to the
For the next 125 years, the property passed to different
generations of the family. In 1948, Bettye Johnson Teeter inherited the farm
and she and her husband Larry Teeter tilled the soil for the next six years. By
the mid-1950s, however, the Teeters, like many
The great great great grandson of the founders, Teeter owns 212 acres of the original farm, together with an additional 2, 880 acres. Operating one of the largest Century Farms in the state, Teeter produces corn, wheat, soybeans, barley, popcorn and tobacco. He reports that the early nineteenth century Johnson homeplace and a granary still stand on the property.
Three C Farm
Charles D. Corlew
Located one miles north
In 1976, Charles D. Corlew, the
grandson of the founder, acquired the property. Today, Charles and his wife Ann
still own the land that primarily produces cattle and hay. According to the
family, a tree that is growing on the farm was named the “champion southern red
Photo: The Corlew family in the 1930s.
W. C. Harvey Farm
W. C. and Blanche Harvey
An interesting example of a rather small farm that has
remained in production for almost 120 years is the Harvey Farm of
W. E. Jones Farm
Mr. and Mrs. Wendell E. Jones
The establishment of the Jones Farm is closely associated
with the faltering fortunes of the nineteenth century iron industry in
Juliet Attaway Cocke and her husband Stephen M. Cocke were the second owners of this Century Farm. They changed nothing in the farm’s operations and left the farm to their daughter, Anna Belle Cocke Powers and her husband, Louis Powers. Mrs. Powers is the granddaughter of the founders and today she shares ownership with Wendell Jones, the great grandson of James and Louisa Attaway.
Wendell works the farm’s 334 acres, managing a herd of beef cattle. The farm retains a late nineteenth century dwelling and Wendell uses a chestnut log tobacco barn for storage.
Bobby A. Welker
Juanita Shelton Welker
Located 18 miles south
Today, the farm’s owners are the founder’s great-great-grandson Bobby A. Welker and wife Juanita Shelton Welker. Their now 238-acre farm currently produces tobacco, hay and supports beef cattle. A smokehouse and a chicken house, built previous to 1960, still stand on the land.
Photo: Cattle on the Welker Farm.