For a brief historical sketch of each farm, click on the farm name.
Crosby Springs Farm
Double S FarmGalloway Farm
Grassy Branch Farm
Map Courtesy of Carole Swann, Tennessee Department of Agriculture
Harold L. Cawood
Louisa A. and Stephen Cawood established the Cawood
family farm, which is four miles north of
Today, Harold and his family manage a total of 358 acres, which produce hay, grain and beef cattle, the same crops raised by the founders over 130 years ago.
Glenn A. Chattin
Fred R. Chattin
John D. Chattin
The story of the Chattin Century Farm clearly records the difficulties
of maintaining farm operations in the Reconstruction era. Saddled by debt, many
Susan and her children farmed the land as a partnership, producing corn, small grains, cattle and horses. But the family found itself incapable of managing so many acres of land and sold almost 409 acres of the property. In 1907, Mrs. Annie Chattin and her six children, the daughter-in-law and grandchildren of the founders, inherited the remaining 97 acres of the farm. This generation of Chattins expanded the farm’s operations to include crops of peas and strawberries. The construction of a gravel road and bridge over Yellow Creek in 1912 provided the family with a better connection to outside world.
Watson Fielding (Bill) Chattin, the founders’ grandson, inherited the farm from his mother in 1943. The 1940s and 1950s were years of agricultural modernization. The family acquired its first tractor in the late 1940’s and the rural electrical association installed electricity. The Soil Conservation Service reclaimed a swamp on the property and in the following decade, the agricultural Extension Service chose the Chattin farm as a test farm. A justice of the peace and operator of a small community store, Bill Chattin also raised hay, corn and beef cattle on his land, which he expanded to a total of 127 acres. His wife, Nelle Clack Chattin, raised their three sons, Glenn, Fred and John.
Today, Nelle and hers sons own and operate the Chattin farm. Nelle resides in the two-story home built in 1872 by Susan Cooke Chattin.
Crosby Springs Farm
Paul D. Tallent
Located in the
Joel and Anna’s son, James O. Crosby became the next
generation to own the farm. Under his ownership, the farm raised the same crops
and livestock as the previous owner with the addition of strawberries, corn and
cabbage. In addition, he ran a dairy and shipped cream by rail to the Sugar
Creek Creamery in
James and his wife Mary E. Darwin Crosby had five
children and their son-in-law Seth Tallent and the husband of Henrietta Crosby
Tallent became the third generation to own the farm. During his ownership, Seth
made several improvements to the farm by building a large hay barn, developing
several ponds, and constructing a milking barn. In addition to managing the
farm, Seth and Henrietta were active participants in the community by serving
in the Wolf Creek Community Club, the
Today, the land is owned by Paul D. Tallent, the great-grandson of the founder and son of Seth and Henrietta. The farm raises beef cattle, pasture, hay and timber. The farm house built in 1890 and a barn built in the 1880s are still standing today.
Photo (top left): This farm house was built in the 1890s.
Photo (bottom right): A springhouse on the Crosby Springs Farm.
Double S Farm
Marvin R. Shaver
Bonnie J. Galloway
Rhea County, founded in 1807, now has five certified Century Farms. The newest addition to the list was founded in 1899 by Isaac Morris, who purchased 40 acres of land northwest of Spring City for $40. He married Eliza Garrison, and they were the parents of seven children. The family raised vegetables and dairy cattle.
In 1925, Isaac Morris sold 88 acres to Mark Reed, his second cousin. Mark, and his wife, Bessie (who also was related to Isaac Morris) raised mules and hay, and also owned and operated a sawmill. Mark and Bessie were the parents of four children.
In 1958, Allen Galloway, a grandson of Isaac Morris, acquired 47 acres of the farm on which he raised beef cattle and feeder pigs. Allen was also a successful beekeeper, having as many as 25 hives at one time. Allen Galloway and his wife, Arkie Morris Galloway, were the parents of eight children. Their son, James A. Galloway, acquired the land in 2008. James and his wife, Bonnie, live on the farm, where they raise beef cattle and hay.
Photo: Barn on the Galloway Farm
Grassy Branch Farm
Changes came to the farm in 1934 when two of the daughters, Della and Lela, began operating a dairy. Another primary crop they initiated was strawberries. Lela was married to William Bryant Massengale and the couple had two sons, Jennings Bryant “J. B.” and Harold.
J. B. was the third generation owner of the farm and ran two dairies to assist his mother. A progressive farmer, he purchased the dairy’s first electric milker and remodeled the dairy as well as combined herds to start beef production. He also raised corn for silage and crush feed, wheat, orchard grass, beans, and millet. In March of 1980, J. B. agreed to participate in the Soil Conservation Program. Throughout these years, he was very busy off the farm as well. The family advises that J. B. was “instrumental in starting the local DHIA (Dairy Herd Information Association) program.” He served as chairman of the Rhea County Election Commission and Rhea County Grand Jury. He was also involved in establishing the Frazier Volunteer Fire Department. J. B. married Rachel Josie Kate Barger and their children are Betty, Beverly, Connie, Bryan, and Don.
Today the farm is owned by Don Massengale. Don, wife Karen, and son Brandon live on the family farm. On 42 acres, originally farmed by his great- grandfather, Don raises beef cattle, miniature donkeys, wheat, straw, hay, corn, and sorghum. In 1978, Don earned an American Farmer Degree through FFA, and received Master Beef Certification in 2007.