For a brief historical sketch of each farm, click on the farm name.
John L. Batey
In 1807 James Bass of
In 1930, the great great grandson of James Bass, John L. Batey, Sr., acquired 261 acres of the original farmstead. Increasing the farm to over 500 acres, he and his wife raised beef cattle, swine, operated a diary, and grew hay, corn, and wheat. Their son John L. Batey, Jr. worked the farm in partnership with his parents for a number of years and is the current owner. He and his wife Melissa produce beef cattle, swine, corn, wheat, soybeans, and hay on 483 acres. Their daughter Katherine and her husband Brandon Whitt live in the nineteenth century dwelling, part of which dates to 1812.
Photo: This house on the Batey Farm was built in 1903.
and Sarah Brown Bennett obtained 400 acres about 1870. They had twelve children
and raised livestock as well as grains, hay, tobacco, corn, and fruit. Stephen
and R. G. Owen established the
As the nineteenth century drew to a close, Devereaux Jarrett Bennett received 81 acres of the farm founded by his grandparents. He married Mollie Owen in 1897 and they were the parents of seven children. A progressive farmer, Bennett was a beekeeper and, in addition to producing honey, he raised sheep, goats, cattle, mules, wheat, corn, and tobacco. He also contributed to the World War I food program by increasing production.
Bennett Marchetti, great granddaughter of the founders, inherited 144
acres. In 1976 her brother Freeland
Bennett was raising corn, tobacco, and cattle on the property. Marchetti’s
grandson Don Click is the current owner of
Photo: Photographed in 1992, the nineteenth century one-story house with Greek Revival porch incorporates an earlier log structure in the kitchen.
James Butler, Sr.
Located east of
Josiah’s and Martha’s oldest son,
Perry, was the next generation to own the farm. Perry married Alice Henderson
Butler and they had ten children. According to the family,
The third owner of the farm was Perry’s
and Alice’s son, Oscar Alfonzo Butler. Oscar and his wife Annie Bell Spain
Butler had four children. Their names were Elizabeth, Oscar Perry, Sr., Alice
and James. In addition to raising a family, his son reports that he was also a
seller of moonshine. During their ownership,
The current owner of the farm is James Butler, Sr. James married Dolores Williams of
Photo (left): Goats on the Butler Farm.
Photo (right): The Butler Farm Family Cemetery.
Jack Scott Caffey, Sr.
Located nine miles east of Murfreesboro, the 334 acre farm established in 1859 by James Newton and Mary Youree Caffey has been a diverse operation for most of its nearly 145 years. The founders and their five children, in addition to raising corn, hay, wheat, and livestock, owned a community blacksmith shop which began a tradition of selling tools and horseshoes.
The farm’s second owner was their son Samuel G. M. Caffey. He married Virginia B. Caffey and their four children were Talmadge, Sercy, Addie, and Sammie Mae. This generation raised corn, hay, wheat, swine, sheep, and cattle on their 135 acres. Talmadge married Willie Dee Herrod and with their son Jack Scott Caffey, they made many improvements to the property. They also added a cabinet and antique refinishing shop and Jack began managing a dairy herd in 1948.
Scott Caffey, Sr. inherited the family businesses along with the farm in
1980. He and his wife Betty Perry have
five children. Jack, Sr. and sons Van Russell
and Jack Scott, Jr. produce corn, hay, grains, swine, and dairy products on 335
acres. Three mid-nineteenth century buildings, the smokehouse, wheat house, and
chicken house, are still in use on the farm.
Jack Scott Caffey III helps manage one of the few remaining family-owned
dairy herds in middle
Photo: A lone dairy cow continues feeding after the rest of the herd has moved on.
Mr. and Mrs. James
James Brevard Haynes, Jr.
Sam Miller Haynes
1889 James M. Haynes, Sr. purchased a tract of land just north of
James Haynes and his wife Miriam and their three children Mary, James, and Brandon made Castlewood their home. They raised horses, mules, cotton, corn, wheat and hay. Their son James Monroe Haynes was the next owner of the farm and he and his wife Margaret Brevard Haynes were the parents of James Brevard and Charles Duncan Haynes. This generation added dairy cattle, swine, sheep, poultry, and beef cattle as well as more grains. For most of the twentieth century, the primary source of income at Castlewood was based on dairy cattle. The farm became a Grade A dairy in the 1920s and from 1940 to 1950, milk and dairy products were sold and delivered with the Castlewood name. The dairy ceased operating in 1987 with the United States Department of Agriculture dairy herd buy-out program which was intended to reduce the surplus production of milk and stabilize the industry.
James Brevard Haynes, grandson of the founder, acquired the property in
1975. Mr. and Mrs. Haynes and sons James
B. Haynes, Jr. and Sam Miller Haynes made their home on the farm. In 1982, Castlewood was struck by lightening
and burned. A portion of the old house remains along with four cedar log
buildings from the nineteenth century including a smokehouse and cabin. Today, James, Sr. and Sam work the land,
which was incorporated into the city limits of
ruins of “Castlewood” are an impressive remnant of the house built by a former
The Cates Farm, near Readyville and in the Cripple Creek Community, was founded in 1846 with the purchase of 118 acres of land on July 4, 1846 by Issac and Elizabeth McCrary McGill. The farmhouse was originally a double pen log cabin with a fieldstone chimney. Around 1892, the east pen of the double pen log cabin was torn away and a two-room gable-front addition was built onto the dogtrot of the original. This resulted, basically, in the farmhouse still lived in today.
Mary I. McGill inherited the farm in 1863. She married Benjamin May Becton, a returning Confederate soldier, in 1866. She and her husband purchased 43 more acres ( 2 parcels from an original Youree tract). Mary and Benjamin had three children, the oldest daughter being Mary Frances Becton, who married A. L. Carnahan. Benjamin and second wife, Sally Laughlin, sold the farm in 1912 to his granddaughter, Bessie Carnahan Cates and her husband, J. V. Cates, Sr., a rural mail carrier from 1904 until his death on his route in 1934.
J. V. Cates, Jr. and his wife, Mary Dee Ready, purchased the farm in 1958 from Bessie Cates. They had a Grade A Dairy, raised broiler chickens and TN Walking Horses and hogs, and had row crops, including corn and hay. During their ownership, they hosted services in their home while a new Cripple Creek Presbyterian Church was built. During World War II, the farm was used for training maneuvers. Beginning in the 1960s, they raised beef cattle instead of continuing the dairy.
Mary Dee Ready Cates continued ownership and operation of the farm from the death of her husband in May, 1987 until her death in November, 2011. Her sons, Steve and Ben Cates, inherited and currently own the farm.
Photo: This historic photograph, provided by the Cates family, shows the original log cabin that was added to in 1890.
Marie Drake King
Ed and Gloria Drake Pitts
violence that erupted during Reconstruction came directly to the Drake Farm
only a few years after Matthew Drake paid $1,450 for 100 acres in 1857. Located five miles northeast of
James K. Drake and his wife Ida Johns were the second generation to own the land and they worked 323 acres raising sheep, cotton, corn, swine, and also watermelons. The couple had five children and on the death of James, Ida retained control on the farm. Their son Tom Butler Drake was the next owner and he and his wife Adaline Ingalls Drake continued production of grains, cotton, and livestock on 252 acres. Tom continued the tradition of growing watermelons which he and Isom Randolph, a black hired hand, sold every summer on the courthouse square for over 50 years.
In 1984, Adaline Ingalls Drake became the owner of the property after Tom’s death. She and their son Robert managed cattle and harvested hay and corn. When Adaline died in 1990, the farm was divided into three sections. One section became the property of Robert and on this part of the farm he and his wife Marie built a log house in 1987. Robert died in 1996 leaving Marie his land. She and her husband Lindsey King continue to live on the farm. A second section of the property was inherited by Ed and Gloria Drake Pitts. The owners of a third parcel were Shelah and Idalee Drake Adams. When Idalee Adams died in 1993, Shelah Adams became the sole owner of that piece of the property and their youngest daughter Sherry currently lives on that section of the Drake Farm. Hay and cattle are still grown on the farm.
and livestock barns, like this one at the Drake Farm, were once a common sight
James R. Duggin
Margaret Carter Duggin
Carolyn Duggin Waldron
The Duggin Farm on the Bradyville Pike was founded in 1815 by John and Elizabeth Fulks. They owned 1000 acres and recorded 9 slaves that worked the farm to produce cotton, corn, hay, mules, cattle, and horses. Around 1820, Fulks directed his slaves in building a log cabin with shake shingles and fieldstone chimney. As the family grew, the log cabin became a wing to a two-story gable addition. John Fulks served on the county committee charged with planning an appropriate welcome for former President Andrew Jackson’s visit in 1839 and was also a delegate to the Democratic State Convention in 1840.
John, the grandson of John and Elizabeth Fulks, and Caroline Gum Fulks acquired the farm in 1875. They planted corn, cotton, hay, and raised livestock on 750 acres. In 1900, John T. and Lula Belle Marlin Puckett, the great great grandaughter of the founders, acquired 418 acres of the original farm. They worked the land for nearly half of the twentieth century before deeding 85 acres to their daughter Elizabeth and her husband Calvin A. Carter in 1947. With their two daughters the Carters raised cotton, corn, hay, cattle, and horses.
1972, Margaret Carter and her husband W. C. Duggin obtained 33 acres of her
family farm. The Duggins specialized in breeding Registered Black Angus cattle.
The farm was jointly deeded to the Duggin’s three sons, Charles, Richard, and
James, in 1986. Today James R. Duggin owns 14 acres of the original Fulks land
including the farm house; Margaret Carter Duggin owns 9 acres, 5 of which she
purchased from Richard Duggin; and Carolyn Duggin Waldron, daughter of Margaret
and W. C. and sister of James, owns 10 acres which she obtained from Charles
Duggin. The farm is operated as one property and the owners continue the
thirty-year tradition of breeding Registered Black Angus cattle.
Nina K. Jackson
Though changes over time have marked Elmwood Farm, located thirteen
miles southwest of
Nathan R. Jackson, Jr. was the second-generation owner and he and his wife Sarah Gardner managed 133 acres. The Jacksons and their two children made a number of improvements through their years of ownership. In the early twentieth century they developed a more efficient water system, added electricity and plumbing to the house, and built a sheep barn. Other crops were hay, grains, and swine.
R. Jackson III bought 50 acres from his uncle Henry Grady Jackson in 1949. In
1983, he and his wife Nina Kerr inherited the family land. For twenty years they operated a Grade A
Dairy. In addition to building a dairy
barn they expanded the water supply to include the barn and also added the first
silo to the farm buildings. They harvested corn, hay, and wheat, and raised
swine as well as Angus and
E.S. Williams Farm
John M. Williams
Robert G. Williams
Ernest Manson Smith inherited a portion of the farm and
purchased the remaining part of the farm from his brother and sister in
1901. He expanded the farm to 700 acres
in order to plant more cotton and corn and to raise larger herds of cattle and
swine. Ernest and his wife Eunice
Christopher had two children. Their daughter Ernestine Smith Williams, married to John B. Williams,
obtained 273 acres of her family’s land in 1973. Their sons, John Manson
(Bubba) and Robert G. (Bob) Williams own and manage the farm today where they
raise corn, wheat, soybeans, and cattle.
Photo: This photograph of Mrs. Ernestine Smith Williams making one of her quilts was taken in the 1990s.
Robert L. Gamewell, Jr.
Kitty M. Gamewell
Aleta Gamewell Tuma
Located along the West Fork of Stones River in the Barfield community is the Gamewell Farm which dates to 1884. In that year William T. and Nancy Hill Gamewell purchased 140 acres. Here the Gamewells and their eight children grew cotton, corn, and wheat and raised swine and diary cattle. Second generation owners, Robert Lee Gamewell and his wife Aleta Deas farmed 240 acres adding tobacco to the farm crops.
In 1957, the founder’s grandson Robert Lee Gamewell, Jr. acquired 140 acres and, by the 1980s, was farming 310 acres growing beef cattle and hay. Buildings including the founders’ farmhouse, built in 1884, a Colonial Revival house from 1950, and barns constructed in 1920 and 1950 illustrate how this property has changed to meet the needs and farming decisions of the family over the past 120 years.
Photo: The 1915 barn proudly displays a Century Farm sign.
David and Carolyn Gooch
David Gooch, born in
Owen Allen Gooch and his wife Eva carried on the tradition of dairy farming begun by his great grandparents. David Gooch, great great grandson of the founders, acquired 296 acres in 1967. He and his wife Carolyn and their children Kimberly Lucille and David Michael Gooch and his wife Lana also live on the farm where beef cattle and hay are raised. The Gooch family has completed a history of their Century Farm where, in a rare occurrence and after nearly 200 years, the current owners’ name is the same as his founding ancestor.
Photo: This tombstone marking the grave of founder David Gooch (1793-1831) is part of the family cemetery that is located where three county lines come together on the Gooch Farm.
Charles and Catherine Gordon
Gilbert and Ginny Gordon
Gordon Farm, located in the Christiana community, was founded by Alfred While
Gordon and his wife Amanda Josephine Rosett Nelson about 1866. The Gordons, both born in
James Petis Gordon, second son of Alfred and Amanda and married to Nettie Jennings, was involved in the training and breeding horses. James was also a member of the Tennessee County Court for 18 years, a Road Board member for seven years, and a one term state legislator. Several generations of the Gordon family have been involved in politics, including current Congressman Bart Gordon.
Photo: The Gordon Farm was featured in Hearthstones: The Story of Rutherford County Homes (1993) and the circa 1870 farm house, remodeled in 1895 is also recognized by APTA. The current owners of the Gordon Farm are Charles and Catherine Gordon and Gilbert and Ginny Gordon.
Estate of Raymond Murray Jernigan
The Murray-Jernigan Farm, established in the 1820s by William H. Murray
Hiram Murray and his son Davis, who was sixteen when he enlisted, both
fought for the South during the Civil War. Family history recounts that Matilda
Lyon Murray, wife of Hiram and mother of
Davis and his wife Sarah Ann Pinkerton had six children. Their daughter Mae Belle and grandson Raymond Murray Jernigan came to live on the farm in 1908. They inherited the farm in 1935. Raymond became the sole owner of the farm’s 81.5 acres in 1948. Along with his wife Mary Duggin Jernigan and their two daughters Elaine and Martha, the family produced cattle, swine, corn, and hay on around 156 acres.
Raymond Jernigan died in 2000 having lived and worked on the farm for nearly the whole of the twentieth century. Today, Martha J. Tucker and her family live on the farm and beef cattle, soybeans and hay are raised by Ronald Duggin. Meredith Ann Tucker, who represents the seventh generation of the family, was married to Kevin Patrum in July 2002 on the lawn of the family homeplace. The Murray-Jernigan Farm, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, has been used as an open classroom to teach geography, early settlement, architecture, social studies and it was featured on the television series, An American Moment.
Sally Jones Wall
Carolyn Jones Cook
John Claude Jones, Jr.
Eight miles north of
Photo: pasture on Jones Farm
Photo (top right) Beef cattle have long been a major
commodity of the Lane Farm, founded by a Revolutionary War Veteran.
Thomas G. Lawrence
Nearly 130 years after it was founded, Thomas G. Lawrence acquired the farm established by his great-grandfather John Devereaux Lawrence in the Barfield community. John D. Lawrence was married to Mary Jane Crockett, daughter of Granville S. Crockett who was a Democratic activist and county sheriff in 1832. The couple had 10 children and their daughter Rebecca and her husband Archer Wood acquired 58 acres in 1900. Hardy Thomas Lawrence and William Granville Lawrence, grandsons of the founder, purchased 58 acres in the 1930s and produced corn, cotton, and hay.
Thomas G. Lawrence and his wife Robbie Hoover Lawrence and their daughter Diana live on the family farm, now totaling over 200 acres, where they grow hay as well as goats, swine, burros, and cattle. The farmhouse is a two-pen log building with loft and fieldstone chimneys at either end. Over the years the logs were covered with clapboard and a Greek Revival portico was added to the front of the house. There is also a log outbuilding on the property which family tradition maintains was slave quarters. Both of these buildings date to the time of the founder of the Lawrence Farm.
Photo (Top Left): A historic photograph, supplied by the Lawrence Family.
Photo (Top Right): A present day photo of the Lawrence Farm house.
Whitehead Marlin, Jr.
Linda Joyce Lynch
Philip Marlin was a soldier under Andrew Jackson’s command during the War of 1812. Some time after that adventure and prior to 1829, Marlin and Elizabeth Mayfield Prater established a farm on 324.5 acres and produced sheep, swine, flax, corn, and cattle. Marlin also set aside property for a family cemetery.
Monroe Prater Marlin inherited his
parents’ farm in 1845. He donated land
for the construction of
In 1950, Harry Whitehead Marlin, the
great grandson of the founders, inherited a portion of his mother’s land and
purchased the share owned by his sister
Howard B. Yeargan
Rosemary Yeargan Jacobs
Located southwest of
In 1884, Thompson died and he left his wife all the property. However, Elmiria preferred that the land be divided among her three daughters and their husbands. While the lower west end of the farm went to Elizabeth and her husband G. S. Crockett, the east and the central parts of the farm went to Elmiria True and her husband H. H. L. Yeargan and Martha and her husband Edmund Bartlett Yeargan. Edmund and Martha had seven children, while Hilary and Elmiria had three sons. In 1902, the son of Martha and Edmund, Thomas B. Yeargan, bought out the other children’s parts of the property. Eventually, Thomas also purchased the acreage owned by his cousins.
After Thomas passed away, the land
was inherited by his son Oliver B.Yeargan. Oliver fathered five children and
the land was divided among them. However, one of his children sold her part and
the other four, Oliver Jr.,
Today, Connie McGehee owns the property along with her nephew Howard B. Yeargan, the son of Oliver and her niece, Rosemary Yeargan Jacobs, who is the daughter of Raymond. In addition, Raymond’s grandsons, Chip and Bubba Smith also work the land. Currently, the farm is used mainly for row crops including corn and soybeans.
Howard and Margaret Murray Jones
The Murray Farm in the Bradyville
community is one of two Century Farms that originated with William H. Murray of
At the death of Sara Murray in 2001,
Margaret Murray Jones inherited the farm which included about 30 acres of the
original Murray Farm. On this and an
additional 60 acres, Margaret’s husband Howard Jones and their son Thomas grow
hay and vegetables and manage herds of cows and calves. The remodeled farmhouse
is home to Thomas and his wife Robin.
Photo (top right) Acres of pasture support the cattle grown on the Murray Farm.
Sally Jones Wall
Carolyn Jones Cook
John Claude Jones, Jr.
Beth Snow O’Brien
George Randolph Snow
John Claude Jones III
Beverly Randolph grew up on a farm in
the Walter Hill community that his father and mother, Beverly and Lucy Searcy
Randolph had inherited from her parents after their marriage in 1818. The elder
On returning to
In 1966, Sarah Randolph Jones,
the granddaughter of the founders, acquired 500 acres. She and her husband John Claude Jones, Sr.
continued to farm the land and additional acreage on which they produced corn,
hay, soybeans, and cattle. For many years, they also ran an antique business at
In June of 2003, descendents of James
and Jenny Randolph, slaves who belonged to Beverly Randolph, gathered at
Photo (center left) 19th Century log cabin on the farm.
The Sanders Family
In 1869, Robert Andrew and Florence
McLean Smith built their home in the middle of 370 acres of land on
Robert Smith Sanders, the founder’s grandson, inherited one-fourth of the farm and purchased the balance of the 370-acre farm from relatives in 1966. Sanders managed the sheep and lamb production until 1972 and grazed stocker steers until 1996. Dr. Sanders and his wife Patricia Pelot Sanders raised their two children, Robert Smith Sanders, Jr. and Priscilla Pelot Sanders, on the farm. Trained as a pediatrician, Sanders was director of the Rutherford County Health Department from 1969 to 1991. In 1975 he began a campaign for child restraints in automobiles which resulted in Tennessee becoming the first state in the nation to enact a Child Restraint Law. Known as "Dr. Seatbelt" for his pioneering efforts, Dr. Sanders died in 2006. Several of the farm’s nineteenth century buildings remain including the 1869 farm house, a log cabin, a smokehouse, log corn rib, and an enclosed log barn. The Sanders Farm is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.Photo: The farmhouse on the Sanders Farm dates to 1869.
Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Howard Smith
Mr and Mrs. Charles Burton Smith
Mr. and Mrs. James Howard Smith
Another farm that dates to the period
of Reconstruction is the Smiths’ Farm southeast of
Ernest Lillian Smith inherited a part of the farm from his mother and purchased his sisters’ shares between 1903 and 1904. On 150 acres he and his wife Annie Harrell and their two sons William Hoyt and Ernest Howard Smith produced wheat, cotton, corn, hay, cattle, and swine. The two brothers inherited the farm in 1958 with William Hoyt receiving 90 acres and Ernest Howard receiving 60 acres. Ernest Howard and his wife Bright Brandon Smith made the 1883 house their home and still live there today. Both are 93 years old. Their sons Charles Burton and James Howard own small acreages of the original family farm and their father retains 53 acres. Rebecca Smith, daughter of William Hoyt Smith who died in 1997, owns 87 acres. She rents her part to Charles and James Howard Smith who raise, hay, cattle, and vegetables.
Photo: Cotton was an annual crop on the Smiths’ Farm for decades.
Mary Alice Sugg Holden
James H. Grant, a native of
Alice Grant, daughter of James and
Elizabeth Sherbrook Grant acquired the property after her parents’ deaths. Alice and her husband Jesse F. Sugg owned and operated a dairy and raised
beef cattle and grains on the farm from the 1870s until 1945. The Suggs had five children and their son
Jesse and his wife Estelle obtained 45 acres in 1945 and continued to produce
beef cattle and hay. Their daughter
Alice Sugg Holden has lived on the farm for over 40 years. Jack Sugg Holden owns
the cattle that graze on the farm today and helps his mother to “look after the
place” that is a landmark in the railroad town of
Photo (bottom left) The Sugg farmhouse has elements of the Gothic Revival Style in its exterior gable.
Thomas Madison Tarpley, Jr. and Jane Matthews Tarpley
On West Jefferson Pike is the Tarpley Farm that was established in 1871 by Anderson Searcy. The beautifully proportioned I- house with its Greek Revival portico dates to this time when it was the center of a farm of 105 acres. A. J. Matthews, Searcy’s son-in-law, became the next owner. After working the land for over 30 years, he willed the land to G. C. Matthew, the founder’s grandson, in 1936. Just four years later, the farm became the property of another grandson, Epps Edwin Matthews. Though the property was bought just a short time later by his sister, Erline Matthews Erwin, ownership of the farm returned to Epps and his wife Sara Ridley Matthews in 1948.
In 1952, the farm became the
property of Jane Matthews Tarpley and her husband Thomas Tarpley, Jr. For the next fifty years, they made their
home in the house built by Jane’s great grandparents. A buggy house, milk house, well house, cook’s
house, and barn also remain on the property.
With the help of Epps Matthew, Jr., they raised wheat and soybeans. In 2003, Mrs. Tarpley reported they have
ceased most of the farm’s operations and she and her husband have moved to
Photo: Tarpley farmhouse.
Thomas Jackson Farm
Thomas Fowler Jackson Sr.
Francis Marion Jackson and wife Elizabeth Worsham Childress, both Virginians,
couple’s children was Francis M. Jackson II who became the next owner of the
land in 1836. He and his wife Elizabeth Hale were the parents of 13 children.
The large family produced a variety of crops and raised livestock including
cattle, chickens, hogs, and mules. In 1861, their son, Francis Jackson III, was
a 1st Lt. in Company “A” 24th Regiment, Tennessee Volunteers,
organized by his cousin, John C. Jackson.
succeeded his cousin as captain of the company and was in battles at Shiloh,
The son of Grover and Velera Todd Jackson, Thomas Fowler Jackson Sr. acquired the farm in 1982. Today, he and son Thomas F. Jackson Jr. work and manage their 200-acre farm, where they produce tobacco, hay, wheat, corn, and beef cattle. A primary family house, built by Francis Marion Jackson II, loom house, smoke house, hay barn, and a cook’s cabin still stand on the property, which is among the oldest and best-documented of Rutherford County’s historic Century Farms, Hankins says.
Tony Angus Farm
Tony Angus Farm
Anthony "Tony" D. & Maxine Scales
Anthony "Tony" D. & Maxine Scales
Farms owned by African American families for at least a century are rare and only eight are certified. Rutherford County now has two as the Tony Angus Farm joins the Butler Farm, which was established 1880 and certified in 2008. Jesse Landrum purchased a farm of 40 acres near the county line on the Versailles Road in 1891. He is remembered as the only African American blacksmith working in Rutherford and Bedford Counties at this time. He and his wife, Cora McClain Landrum, were the parents of Beulah and Genie. The family grew most of their food and had a milk cow.
Beulah Landrum Lanier was the next generation owner. Her husband, Charles Lanier, played baseball for the Negro League and the family had a picnic ground and baseball diamond on their farm which was used as a community park. The children of Beulah and Charles, Jessie, Mable, and Everlee, became the owners of the property when their father died.
Anthony “Tony” Scales, the son of Everlee Lanier Scales, bought the 40-acre property from the other heirs in 1991. The land needed many improvements and he and his wife, Maxine, began the process of clearing the land and constructing new barns and other outbuildings. They built their house in 2001. Both Tony and Maxine are both retired from the Ford Motor Company in Louisville. Tony, the fourth generation owner, raises Black Angus cattle on the land that has been in his family for more than 120 years.
Photo (left): Landscape view of Tony Angus Farm showing the old barn and home.
Photo (right): Aerial view of the pasture, home, barn, outbuildings, and tank at the Tony Angus Farm.
Wild Acres Farm
Mr. and Mrs. Bruce H. Werme
About 1825, William N. and Mariah Hoover Malone moved into a log house
on 426 acres which was purchased from land grant settler William Smith. As the family grew and prospered, a new house
was built in 1835 which incorporated the log dwelling as a rear ell. Malone owned a cotton gin which processed
his crop, grown with the help of slaves, and that of his neighbors. When he died in 1847, the founder of the farm
left 350 acres, the house, and gin to his wife and their son, Thomas. In 1898, Thomas, who never married, sold 123
cares and the house to his niece, Bettie Malone and her husband Robert Hatton Henderson. The Hendersons and their ten children lived
in the house and raised cattle, grain, fruit trees, and sold cedar lumber. The family donated three acres for the
construction of Powell’s
Following Robert Henderson’s
death in 1943, his seven surviving children
acquired the property and Laddie Peyton and wife, Ollie May Lahew
Henderson, moved into the house and worked 157 acres for almost forty years. Laddie and his son
Photo (top left) The farm house incorporated a 1825 log house into its rear ell.