For a brief historical sketch of each farm, click on the farm name.
Corine Johnson Farm
Map courtesy of Carole Swann, Tennessee Department of Agriculture
Corine Johnson Farm
Zachariah Taylor Barker
The nineteenth century Middle Tennessee farmer who
practiced general farming often became a dairy producer in the early twentieth
century and then became a livestock breeder in the 1960s and 1970s. The Corine
Johnson Farm, established by John A. Heard in 1860, reflects this basic
agricultural pattern. The farm originally consisted of 250 acres near the mouth
of the Big Brush Creek in
In 1903, the daughter of John Heard, Emeline Heard Barker, and her husband Burl Bennett Barker, Sr., obtained the property. They were the parents of ten children and under their ownership the farm yielded corn, hay, cattle, poultry and swine. The land next passed to Burl B. Barker, Jr., the founder’s grandson, in 1927. Burl, like many progressive farmers of the 1920s, began a dairy operation. He and his wife Flora had four children and in 1941, 85 acres of the family land passed to their daughter Corine Barker Johnson, the great granddaughter of the founder. The Johnsons worked the property for well over 30 years, concentrating in livestock production. Since the original Century Farm survey in 1976, Mrs. Johnson and John Bennett Barker have passed away. Presently, Mrs. Josephine Barker lives at the original John Heard home and shares ownership with Zacariah Taylor Barker.
William N. Gray
The Gray Farm, established prior to 1850, is the oldest
Century Farm in
A. L. Gray and other family heirs operated the farm for the first four decades of the twentieth century. Few changes took place in the farm’s activities during these years. In 1940, Newt W. Gray, Jr., obtained 230 acres and remains one of the farm’s current owners. Newt, the founder’s great grandson, shares the farm with his children and their families and they work as partners, raising dairy products, corn and wheat. One of the farm’s nineteenth century buildings, a log crib, is still used in the farm’s operations.