Smith County was established in 1799 and was named in honor of General Daniel Smith. Carthage serves as the county seat and the town’s courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. During the steamboat era, Carthage served as an important port and trade center. For most of its history, Smith County’s industry has been associated with farm products such as distilleries, grist and flour mills, tanneries, saltpeter, tobacco and timber. For more information regarding Smith County, please go to the Tennessee Encyclopedia of History & Culture website.
|Farm Name||County||Date Founded||Special Recognition|
|Neal Hollow Farm||Smith||1865|
|Oldham Brothers Farm||Smith||1868|
|Pigeon Roost Road Farm||Smith||1900|