Brice Moffatt Farm
Cedar Hill Farms
J & J Farms
Lone Oak Farm
Oak Hill Farm
The following map is for a general geographical understanding. It does not provide the specific locations of the farms because of privacy reasons.
Map courtesy of Carole Swann, Tennessee Department of Agriculture
Brice Moffatt Farm
Martha A. Moffatt
Robert Wilson Moffatt
George Calvin Moffatt
The Brice Moffatt Farm was established in 1881 by John Calvin Moffatt. Owned today by Martha Moffatt, the Moffatt family lives in a 1912 house and grows corn, beans, wheat and livestock. Mrs. Moffatt taught school for 43 years and is a member of the Moffatt Clan Society. Her husband, Robert, who managed the farm during World War II, is a member of the Farm Bureau and their local co-op. Their nephew, Leslie B. Moffatt, manages this farm, as well as the Fleming Century Farm.
Cedar Hills Farm
James B. Anthony, Jr.
Three miles east of
Between 1926 and 1940, James Benjamin Anthony, Jr., purchased and inherited over 200 acres of his great grandparents’ farm. Today his son James B. Anthony, III, farms an additional 1,200 acres, raising soybeans, strawberries, cotton, pecans, corn, wheat and livestock. One of the farm’s nineteenth century buildings is presently used for storage.
In 1833, Michael Ray and William B. Robinson purchased
572 acres and founded the Cliftwood Farm three miles west of
William B. Robinson married Elizabeth Boykin and they had
seven children. In 1872,
In 1960, Bailey L. Clifton acquired 140 acres of the family farm. A veteran of World War II, Bailey was the great grandson of the founders. He managed 40 acres as woodlands and future pasture. Bailey and his wife Francis were married for 63 years. When Bailey died in 2010, he was buried in Robinson Cemetery, which was established by the farm’s founder, William B. Robinson, when his daughter died in 1804. Bordered on three side by Cliftwood Farm, this cemetery contains graves of the generations of owners of the farm as well as both black and whites of the community. Frances Clifton owns and continues to live at Cliftwood.
Samuel Stockley Moore
Eugene Horace Moore, Jr.
Elizabeth Moore Tipton
The only Century Farm in
Of the founders’ six children, Lucy Trigg Stockley
acquired 500 acres of the plantation in 1862. During the Civil War, Lucy and
her children lived at the farm and abandoned their
Horace Moore died in 1956 and his wife Elizabeth “deeded the place to her three children, Horace E., Sam S. and Elizabeth.” The two brothers and their sister have managed the farm for the last 30 years. Today, the property contains 3,000 acres, worked by Sam and Horace Moore and John and Charles Tipton. The farm yields crops of corn, soybeans, peanuts and wheat.
William Aubrey Driver
The year 1843 is the founding date for the Driver farm,
which once was an important antebellum plantation in
In 1868, M. Indiana Crenshaw and
George C. Moffatt
Robert W. Moffatt
George Thomas Fleming and wife Margaret Faulkner Fleming established the Fleming Farm, owned by George C. Moffatt of Atoka, in 1884. The couple built a two-story frame house that same year, and that home is now the residence of Leslie B. Moffatt, son of George, and his wife Zelma, who manages the farm. The Moffatts grow corn, wheat and soybeans on 142 acres of the family farm that is located in the Idaville community.
William A. and Martha Bland Taylor established
In 1855, Sally Taylor Williamson acquired about 2,000 acres of the plantation. She was the wife of William L. Williamson, who raised cotton and corn at the farm. The farm next passed to their only surviving son, William Taylor Williamson.
Francis Brodnax Williamson and his spouse Mildred Wise Williamson obtained title to 162 acres of the original plantation in 1939. Francis was the great grandson of the founders. In 1976, he worked the farm with Clarence Hightower, a sharecropper. They produced cotton, corn, berries and livestock.
Between 1977 and 1983, the farm formally passed to the great great grandchildren of the founders. Robert Dixon, Jr., works Fannie Dixon’s portion of the farm, producing cotton and horses. The other tracts of the farm, each containing 50 acres, also have cotton fields and pasture for horses.
J & J Farms
Mary Witherington Griffin
Mary Drew Witherington Griffin, the great great granddaughter of the founders, acquired the family landholdings between 1953 and 1959. As of 1976, Sammy Smith and Douglas Bryan sharecropped her 697 acres growing cotton and soybeans. Today, Mrs. Griffin owns over 1,000 acres that produce cotton, soybeans, corn and wheat. She lives in a farmhouse that dates to 1852.
Lone Oak Farm
Dan McLennan, Jr.
In 1835, Cornelius and Flora Murchison McLennan founded
the Lone Oak Farm five miles east of
Daniel wed Emma Adkins and they were the parents of seven children. Their son Daniel McLennan, Jr., is Lone Oak’s current owner. The grandson of the founders, he owned 112.5 acres of the original farm plus an additional 181 acres in 1976. Specializing in breeding beef cattle, Daniel also planted fields of corn, cotton, soybeans and sweet potatoes. As of 1976, a nineteenth century log smokehouse remained on the property and was used for storage.
Billie Shelton McCullough, Jr.
The 6th District of Tipton County is the location of the McCullough Century Farm, established by William and Hannah S. McCullough in 1866, immediately following the end of the Civil War. The founders owned 175 acres which they and their three children planted each year in wheat, cotton and corn. James Robert McCullough was the farm’s second generation owner. Married to Josie Bowers, he was the father of two children. He expanded the farm’s operations to include the cultivation of peanuts.
In 1972, Billie Shelton McCullough inherited the founders’ entire farm. Billie has added 725 acres and toady operates a profitable soybean and cotton farm. McCullough’s cousin Charles Walker works the 900 acres on which stands the nineteenth century log house of James Robert McCullough.
John J. McDow
In 1887, Mattie E. Cocke founded the McDow Farm 235 acres
of land that belonged to her uncle William H. Ligon. According to the family,
the farm had a main house, two tenant houses and barns for cattle, horses, and
storage for hay, corn and machinery. Married to William H. Cocke, the couple
had four children. During their ownership, the farm produced cotton, corn, hay,
pasture, hardwood timber, dairy cattle, apples, peaches and vegetables. In
1929, 2.17 acres of the farm was dedicated to the road right-of-way for the
After Mattie died, the farm was divided in four equal
parts to her four children. Their names were Elbon H. Cocke, Ligon H. Cocke,
Hattie Cocke Garner and Lucy Cocke McDow. Each farm was worked with the help of
tenants and sharecroppers. In the late 1940s, the Texas Gas Transmission
Corporation built a cross-country pumping station about one mile east of the
farm. A spur gas line was installed to connect the city of
During the 1950s and early 1960s, the four children passed away and eventually the land was acquired by the grandson of the founder, John J. McDow. Over the years, John has made improvements to the farm by placing an emphasis on more conservation practices such as developing terraces, waterways and ground cover. Today, the land yields cotton, soybeans, fescue and hardwood timber.
Jean-Leigh York McLennan
Ernest McLennan and his wife, Mary O’Kelly McLennan acquired 47 of
the present 120 acres in 1902. Three
years later, from timber growing on the land, Ernest built a two-story home
(still in use) where their three children, Durward, Mildred, and Stanford, all
now deceased, were raised. Durward
became the second generation McLennan to farm the land in the Clopton Community
Mary Ann Merritt
The Moffatt Farm was established in 1881 by John Calvin Moffatt. On the farm John produced corn, cotton, soybeans and cattle. Married twice, he fathered seven children. His son, James W. Moffatt was the next owner of the land. Along with his wife, Nannie W. Payne, they had three children. Their names were Mary E. Moffatt, Mamie E. Moffatt Gragg and James W. Moffatt.
In 1974, the great granddaughter of the founder, Mary Ann Merritt and her husband Richard L. Merritt acquired the farm. Today, Mary Ann and her husband still manage the farm, however, the land is rented to David Templeton who has no relation to the family. Currently, the farm yields corn, cotton and soybeans.
Oak Hill Farm
William Henry Maclin
Hill Farm was established in 1832 by Jack and Betty Smith Taylor. The
Of the founders’ three children, Lucy Taylor Maclin acquired about 1,000 acres of the family landholdings in 1847. Lucy and her husband Dr. James B. Maclin transformed the farm into one of the region’s largest antebellum plantations, one that totaled 3,500 acres. Corn, cotton, and livestock were the commodities that produced at Oak Hill during these years. In 1869, William Henry Maclin received 500 acres of the plantation. He wed Mary Minor and they raised three children.
In 1935, their son Lancelot Minor Maclin obtained 216 acres of the property. Lancelot continued to produce cotton, corn and livestock and run the family’s dairy business. In addition to farming, Lancelot was a businessman and owned a store and cotton gin in Keeling. During the Great Depression, lenders reposed the gin and the store and tried to take the home farm and house. As a result, he took out a loan with the Farmers Home Administration to pay off the creditors and save Oak Hill.
In 1941, Lancelot M. Maclin, Jr., inherited 216 acres
from Lancelot and Genevieve Livingston Maclin. Prior to coming back to the
farm, Lancelot, Jr. worked as a factory foreman in
In 1976, Glenn Maclin came back to the farm to
help his father with the dairy business. They continued milking cows until
1987. At that point, they decided to not compete with the larger dairy
operations. Eventually, the
Photo (top): A Front View of the Oak Hill Farm house.
Photo: (bottom): This granary was built in 1955.