was established in 1819 and was named for General “Mad” Anthony Wayne of the
Revolutionary War. Waynesboro
serves as the county seat. During the nineteenth century, another town known as
Clifton had a
river that served as an important commercial location for shipping and
receiving goods. Wayne County
has six Century Farms and the oldest is the Dicus Place Farm that was founded
in 1851. For more information regarding Wayne County,
go to the Tennessee Encyclopedia of History & Culture website.
For a brief historical sketch of each farm, click on the farm name.
map is for a general geographical understanding. It does not provide
the specific locations of the farms because of privacy reasons.
Map courtesy of Carole Swann, Tennessee Department of Agriculture
Dicus Place Farm
James Donald Dicus
Six miles east of the Tennessee River town of Clifton is the Dicus Place
Farm, founded by Oze and Feby Dicus in 1851. Their farm stood along the
original Eagle Turnpike that connected Clifton
The founders owned almost 500 acres on which they planted corn, hay, cotton,
wheat and peanuts and raised cattle and swine. Of the Dicus’ four children,
Lewis Roland “Shock” Dicus acquired 100 acres in 1857. He married Emmaline
Wilson four years later and they eventually raised six children. Corn, wheat,
sugar cane, peanuts, cotton, sheep and cattle were the basic commodities
produced at the farm.
In 1898, William Porter Dicus obtained title to 180 acres
of the family landholdings. Eventually he and his family controlled over 400
acres. Their labor yielded crops of hay, corn, cotton and vegetables. William
also managed cattle, swine and poultry. William Fay Dicus acquired his first
tract in 1930 and his second parcel in 1963. Today, William’s son, James Donald
Dicus owns the farm.
Fred L. Duren
The Duren Farm lies along the Upper Green River, five
miles south of Waynesboro.
Established by James L. and Mary Girard Morgan in 1859, the farm originally
contained 200 acres devoted to the production of grains, hay, swine, cattle and
sheep. Morgan also operated a blacksmith shop. A well-respected member of the
community, James was a founder of the Upper Green River Baptist church and
later served as a justice of the peace. During the Civil War, he served in the
In 1909, the farm passed to the founders’ daughter, Viola
Morgan Duren, and her husband Samuel W. Duren. The Durens owned a total of 208
acres. While Viola taught in the local schools, Samuel worked the fields,
raising wheat, corn, hay, swine, cattle, sheep, horses and mules.
Fred L. Duren, the founders’ grandson, acquired 60 acres
of the family farm in 1971. As of 1976, Fred supervised operations on the
property and his nephew David Duren planted its fields of milo, corn, wheat and
Mill Creek Farm
Jerry L. Harris
In 1904, Cal Harris purchased 225 acres on the
headwaters of Mill Creek near the Wayne and Lewis County lines.
Timber and cattle were the primary commodities.
At his death, Cal passed the farm on to
his children but his son, Watt Harris, purchased the interests of his siblings
between 1943 and 1951. Watt and his wife Grace had two sons, Hershel and Jerry
Paul. When her husband passed away, Grace continued to operate the farm until
1967 when she sold it to her sons for $1.00.
The two brothers and their families continued
to raise cattle and grow timber. Hershel and his wife, Carrie, had two children,
Kenneth and Vickie, while Jerry Paul and his wife, Loyce, were the parents of
Jerry Lee. Over the years, Jerry Paul and his family acquired the entire
In 2011, Jerry Lee Harris, the great grandson of Cal, became the owner and
manager of the farm which continues to support timber and cattle.
Martin L. Haggard, Jr.
Larry M. Haggard
Martin L. Haggard Jr.
James Allan Haggard
The Haggard Farm, which is located west of Waynesboro, became the
property of Malachi L. Haggard in 1886. At the time, Haggard was only 12 years
old and his mother, Tennessee A. Haggard, appears to have been the conservator
for him until he came of age. In 1898, Malachi married Clara Davidson and
the couple had three children. Their 150-acre farm produced grains and vegetables
and supported swine, mules, horses and oxen.
At the death of his father in 1918, James Herbert
Haggard became the owner of the farm. Under his ownership and with the help of
his wife, Mary Frances Haggard and their five children, the farming operation expanded
to nearly 550 acres that produced corn, wheat, barley, hay, cattle, swine and
sheep. Mr. and Mrs. Haggard were progressive farmers, taking advantage of new
information and improvements in agriculture.
Haggard was a
charter member of the Wayne County Farm Bureau and a founding member of the
Wayne Farmers Cooperative. Records show he used the services of the UT
Extension Office in Wayne
County as early as 1928
to produce better crops and livestock. Mrs. Haggard was an active and longtime
member of Home Demonstration Clubs and was a “High Point Woman” in Wayne County
in 1939. In 1925 the building of U. S. Highway 64, a major route running from North Carolina’s coast
through western states, impacted the Haggard Farm. During this generation, the
family acquired electricity and single-party telephone lines for the first
Currently, the farm is owned by Martin L. Haggard
Sr., Larry M. Haggard and the Haggard Family, Limited Partnership, consisting
of Sibyl Haggard, Martin L. Haggard Jr. and James Allan Haggard. Three
generations live on the farm today, including Mr. and Mrs. Larry Haggard, son
John, and grandson Tresten, and Sibyl Haggard, widow of Martin Haggard Sr.
The home place of James Herbert and Mary Frances Haggard is still
standing. and John Haggard currently makes the house his home. A large barn that
was built prior to 1950 is used for livestock and storing hay. Martin Haggard
Jr. and James Haggard, with the help of their sons, harvest the hay and have
about 400 head of cattle and 30 horses.
Photo (top): A sheep herd on the Haggard Farm.
Photo (bottom): With the the new innovations of plumbing and
electricity, farm families had for the first time some modern
convienences. In this photo, Mrs. Haggard celebrates her new kitchen
Lila Sharpe Turnbrow
The Sharpe Farm is located twelve miles northeast of Waynesboro in the Ashland
community and was founded by John Sharpe in 1887. On 345 acres, John raised
wheat, corn, cattle, and hogs. Married to Margaret Whiteside, the couple had
seven children. Their son, James L. Sharpe became the second owner to own the
James’s ownership, the farm produced cattle, hogs, hay and orchids. In addition
to managing the farm, James and his wife Martha Delila Whitwell had twelve
children. According to the family, during James’s ownership, the barn was
struck by lightning during a thunderstorm. The lightning killed several horses
and other livestock in the barn. A year after this incident, lightning struck a
tree near the house and killed one of James’s sons.
1979, the grandchildren of the founder, Wilson Sharpe and Lila Sharpe Turnbrow
acquired the farm. Today, Wilson and Lila continue to manage the farm but they
rent out the land to non-family members who raise corn and soybeans.
Bobbie and Doris Stults
Located near Iron City,
Tennessee is the Stults Farm that
was founded in 1867 by W. M. Dalton. On 137 acres, W. M. cultivated corn,
tobacco and timber. In addition, he raised dairy cattle and hogs. Although he
married a woman named Martha Dalton, they had no children.
As time move on, the couple’s nephew John Hayes acquired
the farm. Along with his wife, Francis, they had five children. Their names
were Kelly, Emmer, Eller, Nannie and Mary Jo.
In 1994, the great nephew of the founder, Bobbie Stults
became the owner of the land. Today, Bobbie, his wife Doris and their sons’
families live on the farm. The farm currently produces corn, soybeans and