For a brief historical sketch of each farm, click on the farm name.
K & M
Plum Creek Farm
The following map is for a general geographical understanding. It does not provide the specific locations of the farms because of privacy reasons.
Map courtesy of Carole Swann, Tennessee Department of Agriculture
James H. Brown Estate
Laura Beth Brown
Cecil Brown Estate
George Brown Estate
Riley and Mary’s daughter, Mattie Lou Green Brown acquired the farm in 1936. Married to James Hubert Brown, the were the parent of nine children. During World War II, four of the sons served in the armed forces overseas. The farm produced timber, corn, hay, tobacco, hogs, cattle, and poultry and grew a vegetable garden. Mattie Lou and James celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on the farm, as did two of their children and their spouses.
The current owners, spanning three generations, include Dovie Roberta Brown Shockley and Tomie S. Brown. The 56-acre farm now produces beef cattle, tobacco, and hay and raises Morgan and Tennessee Walking horses. The original house, log cabin and smokehouse, still stand on the land today.
The Brown family gathers at the farm often for special
celebrations. Last July, many family members, though living in other counties
and states, returned to
Photo: (top left): An unpaved road on the Brown Farm.
Photo (bottom): Cattle on the Brown Farm.
Genevra Crowder Carter
Margaret Carter Mounts
Located ten miles north of
The founder was the father of thirteen children and his sons Andrew and Manuel Robinson inherited the farm in about 1828. The brothers raised horses, cattle and swine and harvested fields of corn and wheat. Andrew, who never married, donated land for the Robinson Chapel Presbyterian Church. Manuel’s spouse was Mary Lou Cash and they had three children. At an unknown date in the nineteenth century, the farm passed to Manuel and Mary’s son, John Jacob Robinson. John added potatoes to the crops planted in the family’s fields. Wed to Jane Johnson, John fathered two daughters, Mary Lou and Alice Robinson.
In 1930, Mr. and Mrs. John Vasco Crowder received title to 100 acres of the family land. John, who was the great great grandson of the founders, raised tobacco, hay and pasture. By 1976, his widow managed the farm’s operations. Ten years later, their daughter Genevra Crowder Carter worked eleven acres of the original property and other family heirs owned the remainder of the farm.
Teddy Keith Day
Darrell Keith Day
Darla Day Garrison
In 1848 J. A. Walker set sail from
W. A. Walker, son of the founders, inherited a 53-acre share of the farm in 1880 and purchased another 53- acre share from his youngest brother. He and his wife, Mary Walker, had four children.
The farm remained in the family it became the property of Pauline Day, the great granddaughter of the founder. In 2006, the land was acquired by Teddy Keith Day, the great great grandson of the founding Walkers. Today, Teddy and his son Darrell work the land and they raise horses, hay and cattle. The house and a barn built in 1910 remain important parts of the history of this family farm that traces its lineage across two centuries and two continents.
Photo: The farm house and landscape on the Dixie Farm.
Nate and Jean Bastian
In the era of the stagecoach, farmers who located their
homesteads along a popular road often supplemented their income by using a few
rooms in their house as a stage stop and operating a blacksmith shop. One such
Jacob T. and Sarah Price Goddard became the farm’s second
owners when they obtained 239.5 acres of family land in 1882. The
Married twice and the father of eight children, “Jake” expanded his landholdings to 315 acres and produced corn, tobacco, small grains, sugar cane, swine, cattle and horses. The farm passed through two more owners before Nate and Jean Bastain obtained 213.5 acres of the original farm in 1972. Jean is the great granddaughter of the founders. She and Nate now manage over 450 acres, cultivating tobacco and breeding Polled Hereford and Simmental cattle. Timber production is another major agricultural activity. The Bastains also report that a nineteenth century hay and horse barn “constructed of dowel pegs in beams,” is still in use at the farm.
Dorothy Diane Hitchcock Clark
The Hitchcock Farm was founded in
1819 by William Hitchcock. William and his brothers Ezekiel and John, were all
given grants of land for their service in the Revolutionary War. William was an early Justice of the Peace in
Donald Tillman Hutchings
The campground revivals of the first half of the 19th century and Hutchings College, founded in 1900, are part of the story of the farm purchased by Alexander Barclay in 1853.
Born in Rutherford County, N.C., in 1819, Barclay came into White County with his wife, Nancy Catherine Nelson (1821-1895), and established a farmstead on 350 acres. With their six children, they cleared the land and produced a variety of crops and livestock. A religious man, Alexander held campground revivals on his land to which families traveled from miles around. During the Civil War, he was killed as he returned from a trip to Kentucky and was buried in an unmarked grave.
The second-generation owners were the founders’ daughter and son-in-law, Ammon and Catherine Barclay Hutchings. In 1882 they acquired about 200 acres, where they and their eight children continued to raise all types of livestock. While rearing their children, the Hutchings made a home for their respective mothers and assisted their son, Ransom, in founding Hutchings College around 1900.
At 15, Ransom received some education in White County, but reportedly also self-taught himself enough to surpass the knowledge of his instructors at Pleasant Hill. After a short time span teaching trigonometry, he decided to return to White County and open his own school, which served as a boarding school for boys and girls in search of better education paid. Students paid their tuition by working on the farm, which, in turn, provided food for the school.
Ransom also operated a sawmill that supplied the lumber for the 75-room school, along with a three-story girls’ dormitory and a two-story dorm for the boys—all of which rooms were fully furnished. Ransom’s wife, Emma Davis Hutchings, worked at the school and was in charge of cooking meals for all students and faculty.
Though the school closed in 1923, Ransom remained interested in education, serving as the White County School superintendent. In the 1920s, he was elected to serve as a state representative for four terms, and later, he was elected to serve as a state senator for one term. He continued to farm and also to operate the sawmill during the Great Depression and World War II, when he “provided sawed lumber for gun stock,” the family reported.
In 2006, Ransom I. Hutchings was recognized by The Expositor as Citizen of the Bicentennial for “his generous contribution to White County and all mankind.”
The fourth owners of the farm were two of Ransom and Emma’s children, Tillman and Marie. While in high school, Tillman won the National FFA contest in
Public speaking with his speech titled “Why Educate the Farmer?” Following his father’s example, he was elected state representative of White County. He and his wife, Christine Jones, had three children and they owned and operated a department store in Sparta for 50 years.
Marie Hutchings Howard became a caretaker for many relatives in her family while also having a 36-year career in banking. Active in her community as well, she is a member of many clubs, including the Rock House Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and a volunteer for community activities.
Today, the ownership of the farm rests with Marie Howard and Donald Hutchings, Tillman’s son. Marie inherited 200 acres and Donald purchased 50 acres; 85 of this total 250 acres are from the original farmland of Alexander and Nancy Barclay.
Currently, Marie’s son, DeWayne Howard, works the farm and raises hay and livestock. Although the school and college buildings no longer exist, the sawmill is still in excellent shape and is the site of the family’s gatherings. The family cemetery on the land remains intact and includes a memorial marker for the founder, Alexander Barclay.
Photo: Hutchings College Sign with Tillman, Marie, and Treva.
Photo: Hutchings College Sign with Tillman, Marie, and Treva.
William M. Johnson
Located 2 miles north of
In 1966, William M. Johnson, the grandson of the founder,
became the owner of the land and he is the current owner of the property.
Today, the farm produces tobacco, hay and beef cattle.
Charles Ray and Anna Ruth Anderson
Like much of Middle Tennessee,
In the 1870s, the founders sold their daughter, Nancy Catherine, and her husband, Milton Burkhead Oliver, approximately 100 acres that eventually descended to the present owners. The Olivers continued the farm’s income- producing and self-sustaining activities, adding flax to their list of commodities.
Like many Century Farms, JOT Farms was handed down through the female line repeatedly when in 1902, the Oliver’s daughter, Cora Bell Oliver Gribble and her husband John Connie Gribble, acquired 156 acres. In the 1960s and 70s, their son, C. Oliver Gribble, and his wife, Velma Gladys Mansell Gribble, purchased the farm. One of their two daughters, Ruth Gribble Anderson and her husband, Charles Ray Anderson, are the present owners.
Ruth, the great, great, granddaughter of the farm’s founder, lives
on the farm with her husband and their son, Samuel Tim Oliver Anderson. Today, the
K & M Farm
Merrill V. Howard
As a new century got underway, Robert Wesley Howard purchased 300 acres north of Sparta on April 15, 1900. He and Mary Ray Howard and their seven children raised a tobacco crop as well as hay and corn for beef cattle. After more than 25 years, their son, Turney, acquired the farm, and is remembered for growing “the first burley tobacco in the community.” Married to Roxy Ann, this second generation had six children.
It was Sam Merrill Howard, a son of Turney and Roxy Ann, who became the owner of the intact original acreage in 1989. With his wife, Lucille, and their four children, Merrill Vaughn, Gary Lee, Dennis, and Diane, the family continued to raise the traditional crops and livestock. The Howards were active in 4-H and FFA and showed cattle, hogs, and crops at the local and state fairs, and Sam was on the county committee of the Farm Service Agency.
Merrill Vaughn Howard acquired 57 acres of the original farm in 1995. Three generations including Merrill and his wife, Ruth, and their son Merrill Howard II, and his wife, Jennifer, and their children, Holden and Hanna, live on the farm today. Merrill manages and works the farm where he continues to raise row crops and beef cattle in the second century of the family’s ownership of this land.
Located 13 miles south west of
After Clark moved to
Their son, Joe Eins McPeak became the third generation to own the
land in 1920. During his ownership, the farm served as a place for church camp
meetings, some of which would last for days. Joe Eins was an educator who
Martha Stacy was Joe Eins McPeak’s wife. A trained nurse, she is remembered as serving a vital role in the Yatestown community, where she delivered babies and cared for the sick of all ages for many years. With a mule as her transportation, she traveled throughout the county. While often being gone from home for several days to nurse others, she managed to rear five children.
In 1955, Joe Eins and Martha’s son, Beecher Herod McPeak, became the owner of the farm. McPeak, raised on the farm and the grandson of the founder, remembers that he raised an 11-acre corn crop when he was 11. Then, at 14, it is reported that he sold a hog to buy his first calf, which started the bloodline that is raised on the farm today.
Today, Beecher and his wife Lila Genevea Carter McPeak raise
Charolais cattle, hay and hybrid daylilies. In addition, they have a commercial
crop of blackberries and a wine grape vineyard on the farm. Their daughter,
Debbie, and her daughter, Jennifer Nicole, make their home on the farm, where
the home that was built in 1858 by the founder still stands and the
reminiscences of Beecher McPeak and his family add much to the history of the
Joseph Edward Moore, Sr.
Joe Ed Moore
Located three miles from
Joe and Maggie had four children; namely, Joseph Edward,
In 1940, Joe and Maggie deeded nearly 30 acres to son Joseph Edward Sr. After serving in the army during World War II, Joseph Edward returned to college and received a bachelor of science degree from Tennessee Tech in 1946. That same year, he married Mabel Joyce Austin.
In addition to managing the farm, Edward served as a teacher and
principal in the
Edward and Mabel had two children,
Joseph Edward “Joe Ed” Moore Jr. and Lisa Austin Moore, both of whom were
involved with 4-H from an early age. They participated in 4-H rallies, kept
scrapbooks and entered contests. Joe Ed received his bachelor of science degree
in plant and soil science from Tennessee Tech and a master’s degree from the
Lisa earned a bachelor of science degree in business and a master’s
degree in guidance and counseling, as well as an Ed.S. (education specialist)
degree in administration and supervision. She currently serves as the senior
guidance counselor at
Mabel Joyce has continued to live on the farm after the death of her husband Joseph Edward Moore, Sr. in 1994. They had deeded a parcel of the farm land to son, Joe Ed and wife Vickie Lynn, to build a new home which they did in 1995. Joe Ed and Vickie have two children, Joseph Kyler and Kaci Maree, the fourth generation of the family to call the farm home. Members of the Moore family hold membership in the Farm Bureau and the White County Farmer's Co-op. The farm mainly produces hay, cattle and goats.Photo: Joseph Henderson Moore, the founder of the Moore Farm, and his family in the early twentieth century.
Plum Creek Farm
Catherine Snograss Kiser
Carolyn Snodgrass Edgeman
James Glenn Snodgrass, II
Established by William and Martha Snodgrass Glenn in
1836, the Plum Creek Farm was once one of the largest antebellum plantations in
William willed 611.5 acres of the farm to his daughter Eliza Jane Glenn Sims, who acquired title to the land in 1860. Eliza’s husband Oliver Hazard Perry Sims operated the local cotton factory and “served several terms on the county court.” Besides the production of cotton, Sims and his family practiced general subsistence farming. When Eliza died in 1885, she left the farm to her son William Eli Sims. Thirty-four years later, William gave 114 acres to the founders’ great granddaughter Eliza Jane Sims. She wed Robert Lee Snodgrass and they raised three children.
In 1957, Mrs. James Glenn (Cassie Koger) Snodgrass inherited 55 acres of Plum Creek Farm. The widow of the great great great grandson, Cassie received a dower interest in her husband’s estate and formal ownership passed to her three children. As of 1976, Cassie’s nephew Alva Hill Wheeler harvested the farm’s hay crop and her cousin Tommy Sims cultivated its corn and tobacco.
The Russell Farm, just south of
The Molloys, who had no children, deeded the land to Mary’s
nephew, Tandy Lane Lewis, in 1874. He and wife Tennie had nine children.
Although Tandy became the owner of the farm, W. J. continued to help farm the
land and raise cattle, hogs and horses.
In 1882, Tandy became sheriff of
In 1894, the farm was bequeathed to Mary’s niece, Emily “Emma” Lewis Russell, and her husband, William Matthew Russell. Emma and William had eight children: Walter T., Oscar B., Emmitt E., Mattie, W. Byron, Famie, Horace L. and Maurine. Four years after they acquired the property, Emma’s father, Thomas Lewis, gave the couple an additional 110-acre farm that adjoined the Molloy Farm. The property had a large log house on it and the family moved to this dwelling.
In 1926, William and Emma sold the Molloy portion of the farm to
son Oscar Russell and his wife, Bessie Haston Russell, who lived in
In 1931, with the economic hardships of the Great Depression, Oscar and Bessie Russell moved to the farm. They constructed a two-room house with a cellar and a large barn from timber that was felled on the farm. Eight years later, the couple built a second and larger house that is used as the residence for the Russell family today. Oscar and Bessie raised cattle, hogs, corn, sweet potatoes and tobacco. Oscar served in the U.S. Navy during World War I. He lived to be 102 years old and, prior to his death in 1993, he received a medal honoring him for being a 75-year veteran of World War I.
After Bessie and Oscar passed away, the farm went jointly to their children, Emma Russell Boyd and Oscar Paul Russell. Emma married Tudor Boyd and they had two children, Janet Boyd Hill and Karen Boyd Henry. Paul married Virginia Russell, and their two children are Paula Russell Polk and Mark Russell. Paul and Emma kept the farm in operation until 2004 when they sold it to Mark and his wife, Susan. Currently, the farm is worked by Mark, Susan and family in partnership with Paul. The Russell family mainly raises cattle and hay on their family farm.
Photo: Mark Russell, Susan Russell and their sons pose in the pasture. Behind them is a view of Blackburn Mountain.
Herd Estell Sullivan, Jr.
The Sullivan Farm, located seven miles from
James and his wife Martha Acuff Sullivan had seven children and their daughter Lucy Sullivan became the second generation to own the farm. During her ownership, the farm raised row crops, cattle, horses, hogs and sheep. Having never married and having no children, the farm went to her nephew James H. Sullivan in 1869. Married twice, James fathered eight children. According to family tradition, during the Civil War he fed a Union Army who came to the farm. As a result of his kindness, the Captain of the Union Army instructed his crew “to not do him any harm.”
next owner of the land was William Amon Sullivan the great-grandson of the
founder and James’s son. Under his ownership, William cultivated corn, hay and
garden vegetables. He also raised sheep, cattle, hogs and horses. While
managing the farm, William also participated in building the
Estell and Gladys continued the farming traditions by raising the same
livestock and crops as the previous owners. In addition, they were both very
active in the community. Herd Estell served as Sunday School Superintendent and
was also involved in a landscaping and beautification project for the cemetery
and the grounds of his church. In addition, he was a committeeman from the Farm
Program in his community and was a veteran of World War II. Gladys taught
school for 42 years in
Herd Estell, Sr. died, the land was acquired by his wife Curtis Marie Ward
Sullivan and their son Herd Estell Sullivan, Jr. Today, Herd, Jr., his son
Shaun and Gladys, who is still living manage the farm. Today, the farm produces
corn, hay, tobacco, garden vegetables and cattle. Herd continues to be active
in the community by serving as a Deacon and Sunday School teacher at