Williamson County was established in 1799 and was named for Dr. Hugh Williamson, a Revolutionary patriot and distinguished statesman from North Carolina. The county seat is Franklin. During the Civil War, Franklin and its surrounding communities suffered extreme hardships as a result of Union army occupation. During the war and Reconstruction, two of Williamson County’s most important historical cemeteries were established. The McGavock Confederate Cemetery is the largest private Confederate cemetery in America, while the Toussaint L’Overture County Cemetery is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more information regarding Williamson County, please go to the Tennessee Encyclopedia of History & Culture website.