Elijah and Mary Moss Longmire established the Longmire Farm in 1817. Located northeast of Clinton, the farm features a spring around which prehistoric Indians once lived. With their five children, the Longmires developed a diversified farm of 352 acres. They raised corn and some grain, hay, sorghum, cattle, hogs, sheep, poultry and horses.
In 1838, Elijah and Mary’s son Henderson Longmire inherited 60 acres of the farm. Henderson continued the farming traditions of his father and added more land to the farm. In 1873, Henderson’s son Jordan Francis Longmire bought 100 acres of the farm for $1100. Jordan and his wife Susan Jane Irwin had four children. Two of their sons, William and Robert, were, respectively, the fathers of Robert Irwin and Paul Longmire, who acquired the farm in 1963. Robert and Paul are still the owners today.
As of 1976, a log crib and granary, each at least 100 years old, still stood on the Longmire Farm. The Longmires also managed a diversified farm of tobacco, timber, some grain, hay and beef cattle.