James Greer Russell
Located on the Bethlehem Road in Bedford County, the Russell Farm began in 1869 as the 198 acre farm of Margaret and Joel Russell. Like many nineteenth century farmers in the region, the Russells grew corn, small grains, and hay, while raising work stock, cattle, and swine.
In 1906, their son Samuel T. Russell inherited the land, yielding the same products that his father produced. Samuel died in 1933 and his wife Mattie was granted a life tenancy. She lived until the 1970s when the farm passed to her children, James G. and Joe Russell.
Keeping in step with the trends of modern agriculture, the Russell brothers manage a more specialized operation than their grandparents or parents. The Russell Farm still contains 198 acres and produces hay, pasture, cattle, and timber.