Twin Springs Hereford Farm
The Twin Springs Hereford Farm is located approximately five miles northwest of Clinton, Tennessee and was founded by Kinza K. Johnson in 1805. Kinza was married to Sarah Smallwood Johnson and they had eight children. On 640 acres, they cultivated cotton, corn, wheat, blue grass and raised cattle.
Kinza’s and Sarah’s son, Craven Johnson, became the next generation to own the land in 1831. Craven with his wife Jane Leinhart and their eight children raised the same crops and livestock as the founder with the addition of sheep and chickens. After Craven Johnson, the acreage passed through three generations of family ownership.
Rushia Johnson Farmer, the great great granddaughter of Kinza and Sarah Johnson, inherited two acres of the present farm in 1949 and acquired the remainder in 1967. She and her husband W. Clyde Farmer lived on the land and managed the farm, until his death. Rushia still owns the farm today.
Twin Springs Hereford Farm, as the name suggests, specializes in beef cattle and hay. For many decades, the farm was largely isolated from the mainstream of American life. Commercial water was not available there until 1966 and not until 1972 were all of Dutch Valley’s roads paved.